cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BE2014 - Backing up SQL / Exchange? disk/tape?

IT_Dan
Level 3

I am trying to create backup jobs in BE2014 for my infrastructure. First problem I have is, that althoughI Have installed the Agent on my SQL and Exchange servers, the backup sources don't show SQL or Exchange databases- I've been through the admin book and nothing addresses this.

Second question: I need to backup D2T. I Have a tape drive with one slot. Everything fits on the tape. It looks like I have to create a giant backup for all my servers and set that to run as a disk job that backs up to tape in the Stage setup.  Is this true, or is there a better way?

Thanks!

Dan

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. You need to license those applications on the media server first...once done, installing the RAWS agent would basically unlock the ability of the media server to see those applications. So did you license them?

2. D2D2T would work, especially if using GRT. Backing up to disk means that when restoring, your application isn't temporarily staged to disk. This requires as much free space as your SQL/Exchange is big, and adds a lot of time to a restore, even for a single item.

Configure the primary backup to disk, and then add in a stage to duplicate (NOT backup) to tape. This will preserve the catalogs for longer retention restores.

Thanks!

IT_Dan
Level 3

1. I did license the applications / databases feature and then reinstalled BE2014 on the media server and RAWS on the database server (That's where I am focusing now). I still only have drives, system state and utility partition visible. I verified the licensing tool showing the license and the DB server has the agent in the tray.

2. I'm not clear on how this will handle multiple backups- If I have 5 servers and I back them up to disk, then add the option to duplicate to tape, will it allow all five backups to coexist on the one tape?

Thanks for the help- I appreciate it!

Moltron1
Level 5

It's been some time since I've worked with tape.  I think you said you had 1 huge job to backup all the servers.  If it were me I would make 5 seperate jobs, with the stages to duplicate to tape.  I believe the duplicate jobs would just queue up... .waiting for the tape drive to become available.  And as long as the tape was still appendable after each write (i think theres a setting for that) it would just append the next job onto that.  If full, it would ask for another tape.