cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BES12.5 / Server 2008 x86 / Tandberg LTO2 HH / Backup Job requests 2nd Tape after only 134GB

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3

Hello,

I m running BES 12.5 on a Windows Server 2008 RTM x86 with an external (SCSI) Tandberg LTO 2 HH Tape Drive (200GB/400GB).
   My data backup is about 140 GB and should be backed  up on one tape. The LTO 2 Tapes got a capacity of 200GB (uncompressed).

Everything worked fine, but since 4weeks i ve got the problem that my backup job requests a second tape after 134GB?!
   The BES 12.5 is pateched and the newest tape driver are installed and loaded in backup exec.

I configured the same backup job with a backu to disk folder, and the backup went trough without any problem.

I bought new tapes, but this also changed nothing.

Why does a backup job requests for a second tape when it has loaded tapes with enough capacitiy?

Does anyone experienced the same problem.

best regard, Florian

19 REPLIES 19

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Florian 

Your backup job is configured to overwrite or append ? 

Is there are any media set associated with the tapes with an  Overwrite Protection Period ?

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3

hi amol,

thanks for your reply.

- The Job is configured to override.
- there is no overwrite protection period configured

regeards florian

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So the jobs are set to overwrite, in that case it should write atleast 200gb on the tape considering without compression. Please check below things to isolate the issue.

1> you are using lto 2 tapes, make sure you are using the same drive as well(lto2 drive)
2> In the device tabe what is the capacity it is showing for the tape.
3> I have seen this behaviour couple of times and sometimes cleaning the drive resolved it
4> Try using the software utility of your drive and write as much as data you can from it., it will tell us if the problem is with the drive or not.

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
Hi Sazz,
thanks for your reply.
The Tape Device hast he Capacity, i backed up more than 134GB to one tape some weeks ago. I also took  the cleaning cartridge to clean the drive and also bought new tapes.
So here ist he Drive Configuration:TandbergTape Drive Settings

best regards, Florian

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
The same job configured as backup to disk runs trough, so it must be a tape config. think, i guess.
   flo

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Check your job log and let us know what it says about encryption and compression.  For example, it might say  encryption : hardware and compression : software

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
I gonna check it and let you know.

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
Auftragstyp - Sichern
Sicherungsoptionen
								Medienvorgang - Überschreiben.
Komprimierungstyp: Hardware [falls vorhanden, sonst Software] 
Verschlüsselungstyp: Keine
 The job log says:

I gonna translate it for you:

Compressiontype: Hardware [if not possible, software instead]
Encryptiontype: None

So it has nothing to do with Compression or Encryption.

regards, Florian

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
no idea, anybody?

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
do you have a tandberg utility from which we can fill the tape to its maximum. If you use that it will tell if it is the issue with the drive or not. I am suspecting the issue with the drive itself as it is not able to write after a certain GB

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
I gonna check it and let ya know.

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
I know, this is kinda late, but i´ve been abroad and just came back.

TANDBERG LTO-2 HH external Tape Drive (SCSI ID 2)
Firmware Level: S619 (latest Firmware)

I just ran trough the Tandberg Data Diagnostic Tool, fullfilled the tape, and this is what i got:

Param: Fill, 64, Random Data
Checking block size info...Completed
Get current compression status - Disabled
Rewinding...Completed
Erasing Tape...Completed
Retrieving tape capacity log...Completed
Resetting IO log parameters...Completed
Writing logical beginning of tape...Completed
Writing 200.448 MB data to the tape...Completed
 >>> The device reported End of Tape at 99.587 MB
Retrieving log status parameters...Completed
Write Transfer Rate = 643 MB/min
Rewinding...Completed
Locating the first data...Completed
Reading 200.448 MB data from the tape...Completed
Retrieving log status parameters...Completed
Read Transfer Rate = 657 MB/min
Rewinding...Completed

- The Diagnostic Tool erased the tape
- The Diagnostic Tool tried to fullfill the tape with 200.448MB
- The Diagnostic Tool reported the end of the tape at 99.587MB! .... and this is the Problem

I´m realy getting rid of this behaviour. The Tape Device is 1 year old, the tape is brand new.
Why does my LTO 2 Tape Drive cannot backup more than this 100GB to the LTO2 Tape?
It should have at least 200GB native and 400GB compressed (not included the backup software overhead, which sould not exceed 15GB)

Does someone experienced the same problem?

I realy appreciate every hint.

thanks, florian

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Have you spoken to Tandberg yet?

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3

No, but i gonna do that.

Now i loaded the tandberg driver. I gonna run the fullfill test again.
Let´s see if it is the driver.

thanks

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
re: Writing 200.448 MB data to the tape...Completed

Are those numbers REALLY in MB? 200 MB isn't much, it certainly wouldn't fill a tape. End of Tape at 100 MB sure doesn't sound right.
So, assuming they made a typo and menat GB, then it is weird that the tool implied that it was able to write 200 GB...

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Larry

European numbering flip-flops the comma and period from US usage, so 99.587 MB  would be 99 1/2 GB

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Florian, I seem to recall similar problems with v11d and LTO2  drives (specifically)

the work-around seemed to be to use the manufacturer utility to initialize the tapes rather than labelling them in BackupExec

if you do this to tapes with data on them, that data will be non-retrievable, so only re-initialize tapes when they are due to be overwritten anyway

Florian_S__Korn
Level 3
@Ken, thanks,  you are right. I ment 99 587MB.  A fullfill of the tape with the latest Tandberg Driver had the same result.
@Ken, I´m using BES 12.5 not 11d. But i gonna heck if tandberg provides a tool to initalize the tapes (it is not possible withb the Tandberg Data Diagnostic Tool)

I´m also contacting Tandberg Support.

thanks, Florian

Larry_Fine
   VIP   
Florian, any news from Tandberg?