cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWS install says Remote Agent is installed but the Environment Check says it's not.

JMIKER
Level 3

Lost my backup server, now trying to install the app on an older server that did have the remote agent installed on it. I knew to remove it first but got some random errors from Add/Remove Programs. So I found https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH130940 and tried it. That didn't work so I fully cleared the registry of all Symantec, Backup Exec and RAWS entries but there is obviously something still there that the install program is seeing.

The attached screenshot shows Environment Check clearly says the RAWS is not installed, but when I click Next a popup says it is.

I don't need this to be a permanent installation of BEWS, I just need to be able to copy some configuration stuff. I have an exported config file but it won't load on the S2008 box I built for this.

What else could it be looking at that would flag RAWS?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure why it is not in that article

look at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\{GUID}

Review the content of each {GUID} name registry looking at the Product Name value inside the {GUID} to see if it mentions Symantec (or Veritas) Backup Exec - once you find it you can delete the whole of the {GUID} key that contains it (as there may be more than one that mention Backup Exec go down them all even after you find the first one just in case)

You might need to reboot after the changes before trying the install. Also be very careful not to delete any other GUIDs (In fact I'd recommend you Export the complete Products key to a .reg file before touching anything.)

Warning: Incorrect use of the Windows registry editor may prevent the operating system from functioning properly. Great care should be taken when making changes to a Windows registry. Registry modifications should only be carried-out by persons experienced in the use of the registry editor application. It is recommended that a complete backup of the registry and workstation be made prior to making any registry changes

Thanks for the reply. I reviewed each of those keys and there is no reference to any Symantec/Veritas products.

I have actually run a 3rd party registry editor and searched for and deleted references to Symantec, Veritas, Backup Exec, Remote Agent and RAWS.

Is there any way to run the install program and force it to bypass the Environment Check?

Thanks again.

Mike

Colin_Weaver

I am not aware of any way to bypass the check. You might need to log a formal support case for help (which of course might depend on the status of your current support and the version of BE)

We're certainly well out of any support period. I mostly just wanted to be able to copy some of the configurations for the server I built to run BEWS.

Is there a viewer for the config file I did copy from the server a few months ago? That would be all I really need.

Thanks, Colin.

Colin_Weaver

There is no viewer but you could perhaps use a newer version of Backup Exec to  install on a cleanly built server and investigate upgrading the database / BEDB (assuming this is what you mean by config file) using the BEMIG.exe tool