cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BU Exec 12 and Sony SDX-1100 tape drive

UK_Will
Level 2
In the past 2 weeks, BU Exec 12 stopped talking 'nicely' to my external SCSI Sony SDX-1100.
Back-up still works. It just won't perform things like inventory or label - I get either E00081D9 or E0008821 errors.
If I re-start the BUExec Device & Media Service, the tape gets inventoried.
I'm unning this on a Windows Enterprise Server 2003 SP2.
Running LiveUpdate has patched the BUExec to SP4 - it was on SP1 - I thought this might help.
I have checked with Device Manager - I am using (have always been using) the Symantec drivers for the tape unit (version 5.1 dated 12 Apr 2007) - LiveUpdate offers no more up-to-date drivers.
Help please?
4 REPLIES 4

kevin_c
Level 4
 I bumped into this a few times:  Try
 1) Run a cleaning Tape (a new one)
2) Reseating the Cables and SCSI Card and Tape Drive.
3) Check your SCSI Termination - Reseat that 
4) Check the settings on your SCSI Card.  (Are they optimally set for that tape drive?) (Sometimes you can slow    down throughput to see if it clears up.
5) Select a different channel on your SCSI Card.
6) Try a different SCSI Card.
7) Try a different Tape Drive.

kevin

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi UK Will,

I'd actually start by removing that device from your system, and then readding it again. It could have some sort of corruption.

1. Turn off the drive, and disconnect it from the server. Go into BEWS, and then delete the drive, before removing it from Device Manager.
2. Once done, restart the server, and then make sure the device isn't showing up in Device Manager or BEWS.
3. Shut the server down, connect the drive and turn it on. After 1 minute, turn on the server and let it boot.
4. Open up Device Manager, and confirm it is seen in the OS. GO into BEWS, and then run the Device Configuration Wizard and choose the option to load the Symantec drivers.

Try to run a backup again...

Laters!

kevin_c
Level 4
 Hello uk will,

Is this issue solved now?

kevin

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

Has this been fixed by either of us...?