cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-up Exec Media server not seeing remote server

Mistersan
Level 3

Good Morning all,

I have a media server which has Symantecd Backup exec 2010 R3 installed on domain A, I have a virtual machine on domain B, the media server cant see the PC on domain B.

The two domains have a trust and i can remotely connect to the PC on domain B from the media server on domain A, there are no firewall rules in place.

I have had to install the remote back-up agent locally on the pc on domain B, i have configured it to speak to the media server, and it even populates the 'security' tab on the remote agent utility, but does not populate the 'status' tab.

Am i missing something here?  Is there any other way to create a back-up job so that i can force the media server to see the remote pc?

Any help would be grealty appreciated.

Thanks,

Hassan.

12 REPLIES 12

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Try adding IP address of the remote server in the user defined selection of BE.

Mistersan
Level 3

Hi There,

Eaqch time i right click on 'all resources' then 'Manage user-defined Selections' i get the below error:

External component has thrown an expection.

Then the software closes.

Any ideas?

AmolB

Have you installed all the latest updates for Backup Exec? 

Could you post exact error message from the Windows Event Viewer

Mistersan
Level 3

Please see the below error.

I have just preformed the live update and have installed 4 hot fixes, now when i right click on user defined selections the GUI just hangs and i get nothing?

Thanks again.

AmolB

Refer to below forum thread, user was facing issues with the GUI and he was getting similar error 

message while scheduling backup job.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r2-crash

Mistersan
Level 3

Hi again,

Ive re-registered the dll and same issue occurs.

Stopped services and restarted

Repaired the installation of back-up exec too.

Mistersan
Level 3

Hi there

Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hassan

Mistersan
Level 3

Good Morning,

Anybody else have any input on this?

Thank You.

San.

Mistersan
Level 3

Good Morning,

Does anybody have any input on this?

Getting quite desperate now.

Thanks in advance.

San.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

What happen if you disabke remote agent service on remote server and then create a share on that machine which is accessible by everyone and then try to add that server and see if you can see share atlest 

Thanks

Mistersan
Level 3

Hi there,

I can certainly try that.

But when on the back-up server i cant even right click and select user defined slections as it gives me the resulting error.

So even if the media server is viewable by everyone, i still cant select it withing the software.

Really appreciate your help.

San.

Divs
Level 2

Hello,

Its been mentioned as "it even populates the 'security' tab on the remote agent utility, but does not populate the 'status' tab." which means remote agent on PC is not installed properly.

Kindly try to repair/reinstall the agent and make sure the Backup Exec for Windows server service is running and with Local System account. then make sure you can check all the tab information in Remote agent utility with out any errors.