cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up exec 10d queued problem

FAAemp
Level 2

Currently I have 9 servers and I am tring to do a full backup which is about 589 gb, when I put the tape back up in which is 7 tapes per cartridge it can hold up to 220 gb, the problem comes when the data fills up, the back up exec 10d goes to queued and for some reason gets stuck, when I try to put in another cartridge with 7 tapes 220gbs to get the rest of the back up, for some reason back up exec sees the old tapes and thinks the tapes are still full and won't continue to save the rest of the data. The problem is how do I get back up exec to reconize a cartridge bridge between each cartridge without staying in queued mode and starts the rest of the back up from the new cartridge installed instead of getting stuck.

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Sounds like you need to break your backup into two.

The only way to tell BackupExec that new tapes have been loaded is to inventory the new magazine, but you can't do this because the job has the drive locked, waiting for a new tape

You MAY be able to use the library utilities and export one or more tape volumes, and then do a scan, but that is only a guess

FAAemp
Level 2

Is this problem fixed in the latest 12.5 version. Or is this an issue with all versions of Back up Exec.

MitchR
Level 6

Most libraries get really unhappy when you move tapes in & out without letting the library do it itself, or unless you do an "inventory" via BE afterwards.

The decision of how many servers to put per job is not a simple one - and there may be no "right" answer.  I do agree that putting all servers into 1 job may not be a good idea.

We tend to put 1 or 2 servers per job.  Makes scanning the logs a lot easier and narrowing down what server is causing problems.