Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp Exec Server Migration

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Team,

- Currently I've BackUp Exec Server configured on a server but now the load on this server has increased a lot

- Now I want to migrate BackUp Exec to a different server

- My queries is as follows :-

a) I've 35 jobs configured on this server. So is there a way by which I can migrate these jobs to a new server so that there is no need to configure these jobs again on the new server.

b) If I install BackUp Exec on a different server now, so do i need to push the RAWS Agent again as it was earlier communicating with the old server

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129826

2) No need to push out agents again, simply update the new media server 

name in the publishing tab of the remote agent utility

EDIT: The article which i have posted is for migrating same version of BE.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Dishant

1 To do migration please do the following & I presume version of backup exec on old & new server is same instruction below are considering same

1 Please stop the SQL service on your old backup server & then copy bedb_dat.mdf & bedb_log.ldf & from C-program file -symantec-backupexec-data folder to new server desktop by making folder with name of your old server

Please copy the catalog folder from C-program file-symantec-backupexec-& overwrite existing catalog

2 Now please take the copy of your existing copy bedb_dat.mdf & bedb_log.ldf & from C-program file -symantec-backupexec-data folder on new server on desktop by making new folder with name of your new server

3 Finally please start sql service for backup exec on your new server & then do copy database

For which please refer the link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49757

4 Finally please uninstall backup exec from your old server & then push install remote agent on old server so that you can take backup of it & for your other remote agent client no need to push it as it same version of remote agent just update publishing information by going to remote agent utility & update new backup server name

Please mark this solved if this is clear

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Nice, thorough explanation...helps the people understand better!

Dishant
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Amol,

Regarding the second statement can you answer my queries :-

a) Simply update the new media server name in the publishing tab of the remote agent utility.

Can you explain on how to do the same??

b) The Technotes mention "Migrate Backup Exec to another server with a different Windows OS version".

Does this also apply for "Migrate Backup Exec to another server with the same Windows OS version"

AmolB

On the remote server, click on start->All Programs->Symantec Backup Exec ->

Remote agent Utility. If the utility is already running you will find a small computer icon 

in the Icon tray. Once you open this utility click on Publishing tab and then click on 

change settings, add the new media server name and then close the utility.

Restart the remote agent service and then it should publish information to the new 

media server.

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi Dishant

To update new media serve name in publishing tape

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH65151

I siad you will have to update remote agent only on your old server if you want to backup

No need of pushing update on other remote client as they are of same version

Thank YOu

AmolB

Does this also apply for "Migrate Backup Exec to another server with the same Windows OS version"

Yes it applies to the same OS version too

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Thanks craig

Welcome ,Your appreciation will help in doing the thing more better

Thank You

AmolB

1) Refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH129826

2) No need to push out agents again, simply update the new media server 

name in the publishing tab of the remote agent utility

EDIT: The article which i have posted is for migrating same version of BE.