Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackUp job failing.....need help

michael_wright8
Level 2

Win 2003 Server

Veritas Backup Exec 9.1

I have a job to back up the Exchange service to include the Public folders.  The Mailbox store runs fine but the public folders fail.  I have verified everything and I can't come up with any ideas on what might be causing it.  The PF is online....working.....the user account for Backup exec has proper permissions.....

Error message: 

(Server: "Backup Server") (Job: "Full - Exchange") Full - Exchange -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup - Exchange Server
Unable to attach to \\ROGUE\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders. Unable to attach to \\ROGUE\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders.

Any ideas much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Just to double check rights, logon to the media server as the BackupExec service account, open Outlook and try to open the Public Folders

Devid_Miatello
Level 4

Is your BE service account hidden from global address list?

michael_wright8
Level 2

It was hidden.  I just unchecked the box.  Would that make a difference?

michael_wright8
Level 2

Is there a way to do that without loading Outlook on the server?  I like to keep things as uncluttered as possible. 

Just to clarify though, the backupexec account is a member of Domain and Enterprise Admins.  Both of these groups have full privs on the Public Folders.  I also added the BE service account to the Public Folders as Admin with full rights. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You could logon to another machine that does have Outlook installed as the service account

But unhiding the ServiceAccount in the GAL will probably solve your problem

michael_wright8
Level 2

Test Success!!!!

After unhiding the BackupExec User account, I ran some test runs on the backup and they all came back successful.  Prior to that change, they failed just like the actual job.  The real test is tonight when the true job runs but hey, I am calling it a small victory for now. I will keep you updated.

Thanks for your help.

*does preliminary victory dance*