cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Data from NAS: Resource Credentials Fails - A Communications Failure Has Occured

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Guys

I am trying to create a New Backup Job that would Backup Files from a NAStorage NAS Device onto a Tape Drive.

1. I navigate under Resources > User-defined Selections and navigate to the NAS Device > Browse and Add the Folders
  2. I go down to Resource credentials and Add the credentials that has Full Control over the Folders i am attempting to back up. It is also the Administrator account for both the NAS Device and the BE Service.
  3. Upon testing the credentials I recieve the error: Failed - A Communications Failure Has Occured.
  4. Now - I do not have a complete picture of the setup but i am assuming we have a BE Remote Agent running on the NAS Server given the fact that the Device is listed and recognized by the BE Console ? If no, how do i verify this ?
  5. There are no network connectivity issues because i can access the NAS Device from the BE Server manually.

What could be the problem and how do i approach to resolve it ? Do i need to verify some sort of Licensing anomalies here ?

Thanks a lot !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Need

1 Remote agent for windows

2. No need of installating remote agent on the NAS

3. Make sure you have added the service account to the admin group under NAS

4. Add the IP of the NAS to the User defined selections

5. Ignore the credentials error

Run the backup

PS: IF the NAS is NDMP enabled you need to disable the NDMP service on the NAS

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Mac1983
Level 4

**EDIT**

I remember when running backups on the NAS Device in the Past i recieved a notification stating that there was no remote agent installed in the target device and the backup would continue with a local agent.

Does this info help ?

Thanks a lot !

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Mac1983
Level 4

Thanks Kunal!

the backup refers to version 2012. I am running version 2010.

Does that make any differrence ?

Thanks !

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Need

1 Remote agent for windows

2. No need of installating remote agent on the NAS

3. Make sure you have added the service account to the admin group under NAS

4. Add the IP of the NAS to the User defined selections

5. Ignore the credentials error

Run the backup

PS: IF the NAS is NDMP enabled you need to disable the NDMP service on the NAS

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Kunal !

Thanks for your response.

Please review the following queries I have for each of your suggestions:

1. Remote Agent for Windows: Are you suggesting I install a RAWS License BE Exec Server ? Is there a way i can verify if already have one ? If I dont - do i need to purchase it first?
  2. In an ideal scenario - do NAS Servers usually have a Remote Agent installed ?
  3. If the service account you're referring to is the account under which the BE Service is running then it's a Domain Administrator Account. This account has NTFS Full Control Permissions on all the Shares and Folders within the NAS. - Is this what you're suggesting ?
  4. Will configure the IP under the user defined selections.
  5. Are you suggesting its okay to 'ignore' the credentials failure when running the test credentials ?

PS: The NAS Device does not have the NDMP License installed and is not using the protocol. I have verified this.

Thanks a Lot !

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Remote Agent for Windows: Are you suggesting I install a RAWS License BE Exec Server ? Is there a way i can verify if already have one ? If I dont - do i need to purchase it first?

To check if you have the license

Yellow button > installation and licensing > License information

Look for Agent for windows

It should say Installed "Yes" and Licensed "Yes"

Otherwise you need to buy it and add it to backup exec

In an ideal scenario - do NAS Servers usually have a Remote Agent installed ?

Do you mean install the remote agent software : NO

Remote agents be installed  on NAS as they have their customized OS (non windows)

If the service account you're referring to is the account under which the BE Service is running then it's a Domain Administrator Account. This account has NTFS Full Control Permissions on all the Shares and Folders within the NAS. - Is this what you're suggesting ?

Yes service account is the account on which be services are running and also this account you will use to backup the NAS, in NAS boxes you have a console using which you can add accounts to the customized shares

Will configure the IP under the user defined selections.

You have to as you will not see this under fav resources as there is no remote agent installed

Are you suggesting its okay to 'ignore' the credentials failure when running the test credentials ?

Yes most of the time they fail as the logic for crendential check does not understand non windows NAS boxes

PS: The NAS Device does not have the NDMP License installed and is not using the protocol. I have verified this.

This is what we need!

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Kunal

Please check my findings below:

1. Remote Agent for Windows Systems - Licensed(Yes), Installed (Yes)

2. NAS Device does not support Remote Agent Installation (so ignoring this one)

3. Service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems  and Service Backup Exec Error Recording Service are running under "Local System". Not sure if this setting is correct ? All the other Backup Exec Services are running under the Domain Administrator account which has the NTFS Full Control Permission at the root of the Shares hosted on the NAS Device.

4. IP Address and Hostname both of the NAS Device are currently present under the user defined selections.

Would appreciate if you have any further advice.

Thanks a lot !

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

All looks good.

Can you expand the IP and view you CIFS shares in the user defined selections.

There is a checkbox under tools > options > Network and security > Enable user defined shares, make sure this is checked.

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Kunal

I can expand the IP Address and the Root Shares hosted on the NAS Device are all visible there.

Thanks a lot !

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...can that NAS integrate into Active Directory? If so, read up on it in your NAS's admin guide and consider doing this.

Putting the NAS onto a domain ensures that you can add the BESA onto that NAS as an admin, and from there try accessing the NAS again.

Thanks!

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Craig

thanks for your response !

1. The NAS is currently configured to 'sync' AD Users and Groups thereby allowing us to add Domain Users and Groups into ACLs residing on the NAS Drive.
  2. Are you suggesting that there's a way we 'join' the NAS Device directly to the domain like any other devices such as Computers or Printers ?
  3. If so, and if i try doing that in the future, would there be any sort of risk to the Data currently resides on the device as a result ?

thanks a lot !

CraigV

...that's pretty much how it's done Mac...what happens if you try adding the BESA explicitly to the NAS as an admin?

Thanks!

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Craig

I looked into the NAS Configuration. I am using a NAStorage 8420 NAS Device.

I can see the Windows Security Mode as 'Domain Mode'

Workgroup/Domain Name set as 'mydomain'

Domain Login account set as 'domainadministrator'

The Domainadministrator account is the context under which the BE Services are currently running.

Having said that, i cannot actually see an option which would allow me to 'add' a differrent domain account as the Domain Login Account (if this is the administrator account you're referring to).

Thanks!

CraigV

OK, that's fine...and you can browse all the way down the resource list tree of the NAS?

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Have you tried a backup of these shares? how does that look?

Mac1983
Level 4

Hi Craig

Yes i can browse the entire tree structure.

thanks !

Mac1983
Level 4

I recreated the Backup job in order to backup my NAS Device and followed Kunal's suggestions while doing so.

I managed to get rid of the "access denied" error but I have run into a whole NEW set of issues.

:)

Its surely a progress as the last backup was better and cleaner than all the previous ones (although not 100% upto expectations).

I am opening a New thread for discussing it.

(and life goes on ..)