cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up a NAS attached to a business server using CPS

bbrown3775
Level 2
I have a backup server (SMBackup) with thats currently backing up a business server (SMServer) at a remote office.  Backing up SMServer is not a problem.  However SMServer has a mapped drive that points to a NAS beside it, and I need to backup the data on the NAS too.  But the administrator's console cannot see any mapped drives on SMServer.

How can I back up data on a NAS thats attached to a business server using Continuous Protection Server?

Thanks,
Brian

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You cannot backup a server mapped from another server.

The media server must be able to "see" all remote resources to back them up.  (This also means that you would need two Remote Agent serials to be legal)

bbrown3775
Level 2
Hmm...

Is there any way to make a NAS be "seen" by the administrator console then?  In particular we are currently using a Buffalo Terastation 1TB NAS.  I'll purchase any plug-ins or extra agents as necessary as long as I can read this drive from my backup exec continuous protection server.

With CPS, does symantec provide support for backing up ANY external attached storage? 

Brian

bbrown3775
Level 2
After digging deeper I found out that CPS can only "see" local drives (PATA, SATA, SCSI, USB, Firewire etc).  It can't see remote drives (NFS, CIFS) because the agent wouldn't have direct control over the filesystem like it does using a local interface.  So using a NAS is out of the question when it comes to CPS, unless you have windows server 2003 SP1 installed on it.

So I was lucky enough to have a Buffalo Terastation that can hook up using usb 2.0.  Its slow compared to gigabit, but at least it works :)

Brian