cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up remote network shares

william_Montagu
Level 2
My media server runs Win2003. There is a remote Win2000 server I must do full backups on. The W2K server shows its contents in Backup Exec as a drive with its subdirectories, and also shows a list of its shares. Should I be backing up the remote drive's contents as its directories only, its shares, or both? What is the difference when it comes to disaster recovery? I want to be sure that I can do a restore of that drive and be "done", with no additional configuration of that machine. I find no reference to this in the user manual PDF.
5 REPLIES 5

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

For disaster recovery you will have to take a full backup.
Please see the technotes below to help you further on this:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261700

http://support.veritas.com/docs/236286

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
Do most people back up the shared folders? I usually just backup the folder on the server, instead of backing up the network share. Should I change the way I back up?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For Disaster Recovery, you must backup the Registry and all Admin Shares (C$, D$ etc) on the remote server.

If all you want is user data, you can just grab whatever shares you want

Jake_McNutt
Level 4
Ok, so let me get this straight.

On all of our servers, we have a folder named USERS, where users save all of their work. When I go to back up the server, I see both a network share of the folder, as well as the local folder on the machine.

Ken, are you saying that I should back up the network shared version of this folder?

Thanks for your help!!

Jake

william_Montagu
Level 2
I talked to Veritas tech support in India this morning. The fellow said that if I backup the remote drive by choosing all directories, it will backup all shares. He said that when that form of backup is restored, the shares get restored (as shares). He said the listing of shares separately was meant to be a convenience in the event you only wanted to backup shares.