cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up sys32 files

tim_walden
Level 2
Using Backupexec on a win 2000 server, it won't backup the open files under directory winnt\system32. I get backup complete with exceptions every time and the same 6 critical files skipped. After spending hundreds of dollars for this program I wouldn't think I have to buy an AOFO license just to get it to do a complete backup. That's what we bought it for in the first place! How do I get this program to work?
3 REPLIES 3

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hello,

What files are getting skipped?

Are the WINS database files getting skipped during the backup.?
If yes, then this is normal and can be ignored. The contents of WINNT folder are backed up during backup of "System State".

Please refer to the following link :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.aspurl=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_WINS_und_Database.htm?id=2266

These files are a part of the %systemroot%\system32\wins folder, so you may deselect them from the backup selections while taking a full backup. These files are in use as their dependency services are running.

You may like to refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge base article to backup the WINS Database. Which explains how to backup and restore Windows 2000/ Windows NT WINS database.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;244810

=====================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved toanswered questions pool.

tim_walden
Level 2
I could not follow the first link posted, page not found.
The files skipped were C:\winnt\system32\ :
dhcp\dhcp.mdb
dhcp\j50.log
dhcp\tmp.edb
wins\j50
wins\wins.mdb
wins\winstmp.mdb
If all these files are backed up under system state is there something special I have to do if I have to restore the server?

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

These are live databases and hence will require AOFO for backup.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.