cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS, raid 5, write performance issues

Joshua_McKenzie
Level 3
We're running raid 5 on a Dell Powervault 745... have four WD 7200 rpm 250gig 8mb cache, hardware raid controller...

And we're getting roughly 6MB/sec writes on the machine. Originally, I thought Veritas, fragmentation, disk access algorithms, etc, were the culprit, but upon installing BE on a vmware server even and backing up a remote machine, I was getting >300MB/min speeds, which is twice as fast as B2D has been on our NAS. That, and the .bkf files had 2 fragments each. TWO. Not 40000 like I was seeing consistently on our NAS device.

So my question is this - of all of us running the backups, fighting fragmentation, fighting slow speeds... what do we have in common? Are we all running Raid 5 - and could that be a problem due to degraded write access? Are we all on NAS devices?

I'm curious to see what kind of write throughput we're all getting outside of Veritas vs. what speeds we're getting within the program... perhaps this will help us track down what's causing such horrifically slow B2D performance as well as such serious fragmentation.

Hit the following link if you need some freeware hard drive benchmarking utils - http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_hdd.html

~Josh
3 REPLIES 3

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Are you performing backup on the B2D only or are you also using the tape and you have connected the device to raid controller?

Are you getting errors in the application and event log?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joshua_McKenzie
Level 3
I've finally gotten our backups running consistently and correctly. The raid controller and SCSI controller for the tape drive are seperate, so there's no conflict there, and we're getting roughly 300 MB/min xfer to tape. Not blazing fast, but with an ADIC 228 and DLT7000, that's more than adequate since we can duplicate to tape in the down time.

Xfer speeds are identical regardless of whether the tape device is backing something up concurrently with B2D taking place or not, and the fragmentation disparity between a standard sata single drive and the raid-5 array is a scale of 20,000/1, 20,000 fragments being the raid 5 to each 1 fragment on regular single drive.

I'm going to be running a test server with onboard h/w Raid-0 on some older hardware to see if raid-0 suffers the same fragmentation as raid 5 seems to, and also take a look at running that same hardware rig respun w/out raid, assuming raid-0 has the same fragmentation problems.

With our NAS getting 6MB/sec writes, 30 MB/sec reads, and Veritas dropping a 1 gig file in 40,000 fragments, it's no small wonder the machine takes a long time to write to disk. As for defragmenting the volume, I've been working on that nightly with winternal defrag for ~6 hours daily, and it's reduced the drive fragmentation from 99% roughly down to 96%. Not much I can do there.

~Josh

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update. We are marking this thread as assumed answered.

Regards,