cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up the Media Server

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
When I'm selecting the local media server properties for backup should I select the SQL database to be backed up as well? We've purchased one SQL server agent to backup a remote server. If I choose to backup the media server's sql instance I assume I would need an additional license. Is it necessary to backup this database up or is it already done through the software?
4 REPLIES 4

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
It's not necessary. In fact, you'd never be able to restore it unless you created a second BE server to restore to the first.
The device and media database get backed up by default @ 4:0Am each day (configured under Tools | Options | database maintenance).
The backup file is called BEDB.bak.

On the subject of backing up the media server, be sure to back up the \catalogs subdirectory. This is the metadata regarding your backups (the data you view from the restore tab). it is not part of the device and media database.

Jeff_Travers
Level 3
Thanks!

Sebastian_Senen
Level 3
Ray,
What happens with the DB of a secondary server in a SSO environment?
Thanks.
Sebastian.-

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
The secondary servers or media servers connect to the Primary (master) for their database. During their daily maintenance window, the media servers make backup copies of the database to their local install path, but I do not know if this copy could (in the event of a disaster) be copied to the master.

I do know that if your Primary crashes, you cannot simply pick a secondary and make it the new primary (while the original Primary is down).