cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup 400 GB+ of data to tape fails at 99%... where did my data go?

Steven_Huang
Level 2
Configuration:
Windows 2003
Quantum M1800 Tape Library (2 X M1500 w/ 2 LTO2 drives and 47 LTO2 tapes) connected via FC
BackupExec 10d

I am new to BackupExec so if you could type slowly...... just kidding......

Anyhow so I have a shiny new BackupExec server running the eval of 10d. I have performed Full backups to disk and it performs just fine. I am now performing incremental backups to tape. My incrementals will go so far and then fail due to various configuration problems on my part (which I am fixing as I go). Anyhow my last incremental got up to 99% complete reporting about 400GB of data which was backed up. It failed becasue of of a file corruption on one of my SQL servers (veritas translates it into the file being in use, and I did not have AOFO running. Anyhow even though the job failed, I wanted to see what was backed up. So I went to restore some data and I discoverd that although the folder structure was created, non of the folders seem to contain any actual files. Where did the magic 400GB go?

I assume that since this was an incremental that it should only backup the files that have changed. Still since it seems to list the entire directory structure of the server I backed up, do I assume that I will have to hunt the actual files down? Sifting through layers and layers of empty directories? Any insight on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

ray_littlefie1
Level 6
Yeah, including the entire directory structure is normal behavior for an incremental or differential type backup.

Here's a couple of options:

recommend increasing the logging level of the job log so that it lists the files being backed up Tools -> Options-> Job LOgs.

Click the Restore section, Click Search Catalogs, and using the date modified tab limit the search to dates of incremental backups.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.