cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Catalog Folder Large

Khue
Level 4
I inherited Backup Exec from an admin about a year and a half back. I have a pretty good grip on the system so far. I am puzzled by the size of the Catalogs folder file under the main application folder. The catalog folder file is 126 gigs. Is this normal? Is there some sort of truncation function that should be run routinely?

Any assistance is welcome. Thanks in advance! 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I am guessing that 126 gigs is fairly normal for BE 12.0 then?

That depends on the size of your backups and how long you keep your media 

What is the impact of losing the detail info? Losing the convenience of being able to lookup what is on a specific piece of media at any given time?

That and as I said before, you must catalog the media before you can restore from it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Is there some sort of truncation function that should be run routinely?

As long as BackupExec thinks that a piece of media is still active, it will retain the catalog for it.

You can set a Truncation period, such that backups older than xxx days retain their header info so the media is still protected, but all detail info is deleted.  Before you can restore from one of these media, you must first catalog it .

Khue
Level 4
I am guessing that 126 gigs is fairly normal for BE 12.0 then? What is the impact of losing the detail info? Losing the convenience of being able to lookup what is on a specific piece of media at any given time?

Thanks for your prompt reply Ken.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I am guessing that 126 gigs is fairly normal for BE 12.0 then?

That depends on the size of your backups and how long you keep your media 

What is the impact of losing the detail info? Losing the convenience of being able to lookup what is on a specific piece of media at any given time?

That and as I said before, you must catalog the media before you can restore from it.

Khue
Level 4
 Thanks Ken! Appreciate the input.