cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Design with BackupEx 2010 (having issues))

Hayden_Kirk
Level 2

Hi All,

I am having issues with BackupEx 2010. This is my current configuration:

2x Windows 2003 R2 32bit

1x Windows 2003 R2 64bit

4x Windows 2008 R2

Backup is to ILO4 tapes (800GB). Doing a full backup of all servers.

Now we have Exchange 2010 and SQL 2005 in the orginisation.

What is the best backup would you recommend. I currently had a full backup running everyday. Problem was, transaction logs on SQL 2005 are not being truncated.

I've changed this to 1 full weekly, 1 daily incremental backup. Issue though, SQL transaction logs are still not being truncated.

Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

What is the best backup would you recommend. I currently had a full backup running everyday. Problem was, transaction logs on SQL 2005 are not being truncated.

This has  been a problem with BackupExec since forever.  You need to run a TranLog backup after the FULL to truncate the log file (see the Admin Guide for specifics)

There is an entry in the "ideas" area (grey menu bar\Forum\Ideas"  that addresses this.  If it gets enough "thumbs up, we may actually see action on this, but then again it hasn't changed since v7.0/SQL 6.0, so .....

Hayden_Kirk
Level 2

Ok,

Can I add a job that just truncates the logs and appends to the current tape, or is that going to mess things up?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I haven't been involved with SQL backups recently, but that's  the way I used to do it. 

The TranLog backup was the job that followed the SQL DB backup

One thing to remember, if you ever need to do a Restore, you'll need to restore the database, and then restore/apply the tran log backup