cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Documentation or Company Policy

DariusM
Level 3
I would like to seek help from you fellow backup operators. I am looking for any documentation (even draft) which I need to follow with regards to proper collecting or retention of backup files.

Please give me ideas how and what are the standard procedures on data safekeeping (i.e. off-site storage, schedule, etc).

All your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Darius Manabat (Philippines)
9 REPLIES 9

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

This would involve something like:
developing and implementing and/or testing your disaster recovery plan; assessing and enhancing your business continuity and disaster recovery plans; assessing your business continuity requirements; performing a business impact analysis; and moving your tape library to another location, if necessary

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

DariusM
Level 3
Thanks to your time answering my question Renuk. But still I'm looking for any documentation, articles (let say a sample company policy related to backup), best practices, etc. that will lead me to a good backup operator.

As of now I am using 1/8 autoloader of HP ULTRIUM LTO1 200GB, I have initial 8 tapes and planning to buy for more, but how can I manage these or what is the best schedule to perfectly deliver updated backup with Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, and Anual Backup.

Please help me again. Thanks.

Regards,
Darius Manabat (Philippines)

F_H
Level 3
Hi,

How many gigs of data do you need to back up?

DariusM
Level 3
Thanks to your answer.

My overall files is more or less than 60GB.

Regards

F_H
Level 3
A simple way to do it is to use a five tape rotation. One for each day of the week.

Start the first job as a full backup. Run incremental or differential jobs (read up on the differences between the two and decide what works best for you) on the other four tapes. Repeat this procedure every week. Keep the tape containing the full backup offsite.

Archiving all data on a tape every quarter is not a bad idea.

I hope this info helps.

DariusM
Level 3
Thanks FH, Yes as of now I am doing 6 days Differential backups and Full every Sunday (Weekly Backup). Another is Differential every end of the week or Sunday Differential, then for the last day of the Month I also perform Full Backup., and so on and so forth.

Does my idea good?

Chaitanya_Khurj
Level 6
Hello Darius,

Yes your backup strategy seems good enough.

You can have 4/5 tapes for differential weekly backups, and you can rotate these alternate weeks.

Secondly you can run full backup every Sunday, and hence have 4 tapes for full weekly backups per month, and one Full Backup at the end of the month.

You can configure your tapes to have Overwrite and Append Periods accordingly.

These technotes should help you further.

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"

http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

DariusM
Level 3
Thanks Chaitanya. And thanks to all of you helping to clarify my backup strategies. I will now close this issue as I am happy with the results I expect.

Regards,
Darius Manabat

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Thank you for the update. We will close this thread.

Regards,