cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Compression Ration Problem

Metro_IT
Level 2

All,

I recently had a system crash of my backup server and had to rebuild everything from scratch.  Here are the details:

Server: Win 2003 Server

BE ver:  11d (7170)

Medium Changer:  Dell ML6000 (Dell driver ver 7.5.2.0)

Tape Drives x 4:  IBM Ultrium-TD4 (Symantec driver ver 5.1)

Compression:  Hardware (block/buffer = 64k/64k)

Prior to the crash we were seeing compression ratios ranging from  1.20 : 1  all the way up to  2.20 : 1

Now we are getting compression ratios in the range of  1.01 : 1  to  1.04 : 1  at best

All device drivers have been updated and we did try loading the IBM tape device drivers with no improvement at all.  Any suggestions to improve these ratios would be greatly appreciated.

Earl Williams

Metro - St. Louis

3 REPLIES 3

JoaoMatos
Level 6
Partner

Hi,

does RSM disable and stoped?

Regards,

JoaoMatos

Larry_Fine
Level 6
   VIP   

Backup Exec has no control over the compression ratio.  Backup Exec can simply turn compression ON or OFF.  If the ratio has changed, I suspect either your source data has changed or your target device has changed.

Metro_IT
Level 2

Guys,

RSM was enabled and running.  I have now disabled that service.

The data has not changed significantly in type or quantity and the only changes to the target device has been drivers.  We've tried the latest drivers and have also tried older one.  We tried both Symantec and IBM drivers.  We have not seen any improvement yet but our weekly backups are where we see the most impact.  I'll watch over the upcoming weekend and see if our numbers improve.

Thank you both for the input.

Earl