cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d Continious Protection Server License Issue?

bjblackmore
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

About 2 years ago we purchased BackupExec 11d Small Business Edition, which includes SharePoint, SQL & Exchange backup agents, and Continious Protection Server. Although we were running Windows 2003 Small Business Edition, at the time we weren't using the Exchange side of it, as we had online hosted mail, so we only installed the basic BackupExec software, and not the CPS stuff.

Now however, we've decided to use the built-in Exchange server, so I've tried to install the CPS agent, but during the setup screen, it asks for the license key. I enter the key that got email to us after we registered the BackupExec serial number, that was on the certificate in the box, through the Symantec website (this is the same license key used to install the basic BackupExec componants). However, when I click Add it pops up with an error saying "An Invalid license key has been entered. Please verify the key and try again".

I've read through the Symantec KB, but most of their articles just suggest checking the license key is entered correctly (obviously), and not copying & pasting from an email, in case of whitespace.

I've even tried downloading the full software again, from file connect, by entering the serial number on the certificate, and downloading the software fromt he list, which should be the correct software for that serial number. But this doesn't work.

How can I get CPS to install correctly?

Thanks

Ben
3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please add the AWS license to get CPS installed. AWS is a separate license from Backup Exec license. It is the Remote Agent license, you must have received separately.

Thanks

bjblackmore
Level 3
Partner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I only received 1 email from Symantec when I registered, which contained the following:

==========================================================================
MyCo Symantec BackupExec License Key

Thank you for registering your Symantec products. Your registration details are available below:

Backup Exec 11d for Small Business Servers Premium with Continuous Protection Server License
Serial Number:  M5########
License Key:  01-####-####-####

To download software for this purchase, go to: https://fileconnect.symantec.com
==========================================================================

I've even tried registering the serial number again, and only received the same email with same license key.

Thanks

Ben

bjblackmore
Level 3
Partner
Hi,

I phoned Symantec Customer Care today, and was very very disappointed with the answer I got!

Initially I went through to Licensing, and spoke to some, after explaining the issue, they told me that the license key I had matched the serial number I supplied, and should work with the CPS license, and they didn't know why, so I should talk to tech support.

So they put me through to technical support, I expained the situation again, and they told me I would have to pay £250 to open a support issue, because I don't have a maintenance agreement on the software! Why should I have to pay £250 to use software I already own, just because the license key doesn't work when it should!

This is very disappointing service from Symantec, I can totally understand why people would move away from Symantec,a nd use a competitors product, or find a dodgy license key on the net, if this is the kind of service Symantec give to their customers!

Ben