cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d - Restoring of Individual public folder emails

pcherry-123
Level 2
Hi,

I'm using Backup Exec 11d on a Windows Server 2003 c/w Exchange and the Exchange Agent. I'm trying to enable the backup and restore of individual public folders and emails.
I have checked the box within the Microsoft Exchange options which states the following. "Enable the restore of individual mail messages & folders from Information Store backups" I'm also copying the Information store and shadow copy along with the relevant data. The problem is, when my backup gets to about 80GB it seems to fail more or less at the same point giving me the following error message, V-79-57344-33928. I have tried the hot fixes and suggestion but i just cant seem to get this to work. If i uncheck the box my backup is and has been 100% successful backup up the public folders and exchange mail boxes, but I'm not able to restore individual emails etc, hence that's why this check box needs to be checked. Lastly, as far as I'm aware every folder on the server has the right level of permissions.
Is anyone having a similar problem and if so do you know of a solution?

Many thanks

Paul
6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Paul,

I prefer staging the Exchange restore to disk, and then restoring from there.
Read this article I wrote below, and see if this assists you. Using this method I can restore anything I want...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

pcherry-123
Level 2
Craig,

Many thnaks for that, i will give that a try soon when i have released some space. It sounds like its going to work. Still does not explain why i get the error message when i try to use the Symantec software in a way in which its meant to be used. Error messages are produced because of a problem. I will try you solution however as it will get me to restore individual public folders and emails, which is what i need to do....Thanks!

CraigV
Hi there,

Something else to look at if the above doesn't work:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305383.htm

Laters!

pcherry-123
Level 2
Hiya Craig,

Reporting back from your first idea. Unfortunately for me it did not work. I worked through all the steps carefully but when i get to the restore where im meant to be able to see the individual mailboxes and public folders off the hard drive backup, i just dont see them. Thanks anyway!
I'll have a look at your next suggestion, but im running Exchange and server 2003 with Symantec backup exec 11d, so not sure if it will help, but i'll check it out.

Thx again!

Paul

CraigV
Does that account have delegated admin rights in Exchange?

shinobivsme
Level 2
sounds like a permissions Issue to me.