cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and Virtual Server

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
We are running BE 11d on our host Microsoft Virtual server. We are trying to use the pre and post commands to run a VBS script to do a shutdown and save state before the backup starts on the host server. Keep getting a timeout message. Has anyone seen a procedure for backing up a Virtual server with 11d?
5 REPLIES 5

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Ed,

Can you post the contents of the script you are using?

Thanks.

William_Styne
Level 3
I run daily BE 11d backups on both VMware GSX and Microsoft Virtual Server. I have no pre/post scripts running and have never had a problem with a GSX restore. This particular server has Windows 2000 and SQL 2000. Restore was perfect. We use the AOFO agent.

Imagine - a complete server (12Gb) restore in less than 15 minutes.

I have not run a test restore from Microsoft virtual server yet. But will do so to see if there is any difference.

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
I have tried using a vbs script from the pre command that runs a savestate command for all virtual servers on the host. Works fine from CMD. Backup Exec times out saying not a valid win32 application. Tried to trigger the vbs script with a bat file from the pre command and I get the bat file to run and then the vbs script tries to run but freezes. Permissions issue? vbs script is as follows. Script just does a savestate on VM and compression before backup. After backup job is done I will run startup script to start VM again.

REM Startup

On error Resume next
set ObjVS = CreateObject("virtualserver.application")
Set objVMColl = objvs.VirtualMachines
If objVMColl.Count = 0 Then
Wscript.echo "There are no Virtual Machines detected on this server"
Else
For each objVM in objVMColl
 REM Save the server state
 Set subVirtualServer = CreateObject("VirtualServer.Application")
 set vmVar = subVirtualServer.FindVirtualMachine(objVM.Name)
 set vmtask1 = vmVar.Save
 call vmtask1.WaitForCompletion(-1)
 REM Compact the disk
 For each objDrive in objVM.HardDiskConnections
   Set objHardDisk = objDrive.HardDisk
   Set vmtask1 = objHardDisk.Compact()
   Call vmtask1.WaitForCompletion(-1)
 Next
Next
End If

Sandy_Sandifer
Level 6
Hi Ed,

Would you be able to try creating a Windows Scheduled Task and using that script in it as the target? I would like to see if Windows in general has a similar issue.

Thanks.

Ed_Scherer
Level 3
Sorry for delay...will try with task scheduler.