cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and Windows server 2008

jason6
Level 2
Hi all,

We have recently upgraded from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008.

We had Backup Exec working well on Server 2003, and are now doing a fresh installation of the software. We ran the Backup Exec Environment Check and got green ticks  for the checks.

So all was looking good, however when running the install at the point of selecting  Local Install the option for Installing Backup Exec media server and options is greyed out and will not allow us to select it.

We have run this as Administrator, but results are the same.

Has anyone any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
You will need to upgrade to atleast version 12.0 to get support for Windows 2008.

MitchR
Level 6
Just to clarify - you need to upgrade to 12.0 to get the BE Server side running on Windows 2008.

We've been successfully running v11d Agents on a 2008 server - no real issues there, though strictly speaking this isn't supported.

jason6
Level 2
Many thanks for the replies, I had a feeling this was the case. Time to spend more money!!

MitchR
Level 6
FYI to anyone who's curious -

I have successfully done a fill system state restore on a 2008 server using BE v11d.  The process is the same as 2000/2003 :
-Verify you've got a good backup, and the tapes on hand
-Reinstall the server with only the OS, no applications
-Install the BE agent. (No reboot needed)
-Find the most recent good, full backup of your server
-Run a restore job, selecting all files, all system state, and all Shadow Copy Components for that particular backup
-Let it run.  Restore time will be about the same time that it took to backup - check your Job History log.
-When the restore is done, you will get an alert telling you to reboot the server.  Do that.
-The server will take a little longer to boot up than usual - this is normal.
-Login & verify everything is working.

aubie
Level 2
How did you get 11d agents to work with server 2008? I have the agents installed, but when i run a backup it fails.

aubie
Level 2
How did you get the 11d agents to run on server 2008? I have the agents installed, but my backup fails.