cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d and encryption

pmcglinch
Level 3
Hi, We are looking to encrypt our tapes created with Backup Exec for Windows Server 11d. I'm only seeing this option if you use a remote agent. Can this be done without a remote agent and how? We are only backing up one server and don't have any remote agents. I'm also finding that it's a good idea to turn hardware compression off if you are using encryption, is that true? Thanks, Paul
12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Encryption is enabled on a job level.  You can enable encryption by going to the Network and Security section of the job properties.  Once enabled, the data from all the servers backed up by the job will be encrypted, not just the remote servers.

Hardware compression will not have much effect if software encryption is enabled.  This is because the data is encrypted before being sent to the tape for compression and encrypted data compresses badly.  If you have both hardware and software encryption, then turn on both hardware encryption and compression and your data will be compressed as well as encrypted/

pmcglinch
Level 3

Thanks for your reply. I'm not seeing the Network and Security section in the Job Properties?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
See attached.  Network and Security is highlighted.

If you still cannot see it in your job, try creating a new backup job and see whether you can see it.  If the section is present in the new job, delete your old job and re-create it.

teiva-boy
Level 6
So you can use LTO4 tape technology and it will compress and encrypt data on the fly..  Not a cheap solution.

Or in BackupExec, Encryption can be done in the client, and you can turn on compression on the client as well, so the data does compress as once encrypted at the client, it wont compress on the tape drive...

Now I could be wrong, but client encryption could have been a pay for option in 11d and older?  It wasnt till 12 and newer that is was made free, and part of BackupExec..  Kind like the Advanced Open File option is also free in 12 and higher.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Encryption did not exist at all for backup Execd before the 11D version - what we had in the older versions was a media password that just protected the media header.

It is part of 11D and forwards - and apart from needing to buy supported hardware for hardware encyption has never needed any extra costs as it is part of the core product.

And as mentioned you can encrypt backups of the media server as well as remote servers - it is not limited to remote servers. - Bear in mind in reality the backup processes still talk to the remote agent that is installed on the media server so a media server from a backup process point of view is really just a remote server that is on the local hardware.

pmcglinch
Level 3

Everything I'm reading (even directly above) always mentions the Remote Agent. It sounds like you have to install the remote agent on the local server to get the encryption option. True? Is the Remote Agent included in the basic software (11d) or is it an extra cost.

Thanks you to everyone for their responses.

Paul

Colin_Weaver

If you look at your Media Server and Open Control Panel --> Services - you will see that the Backup Exec Remote Agent servcie is installed and running as it is part of a Media Server you do not have to install it separately

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Don't see this mentioned anywhere in this thread, but if you select Encryption, you will get little or no compression when writing the tape or disk data, no matter whether SW or HW compression is enabled, so it is conceiveable that jobs that would fit on one tape before will now require two

Colin_Weaver
software encryption with hardware comprsssion will NOT compress very much - other combinations will have different level of compression.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

For my LTO4 tapes, I have both hardware compression and encryption enabled and I get a compression ratio 1.5:1.  I get this compression ratio regardless of whether I enable hardware encryption or not.

pmcglinch
Level 3

Sorry for the delay, just getting back to this problem. I've checked and the Remote Agent is running on this server. One thing I just noticed is the version. It's Backup Exec 11d for Windows Servers (QuickStart Edition). This might be my problem. Anyway I still don't see Network and Security as an option while I'm in Properties. I don't see Pre/Post, MS SQL, Lotus, etc. also.

I'm going to check the differences of the QuickStart Edition and the regular addition now.

Thanks,

Paul

pmcglinch
Level 3

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-help-setting-encryption-backups