cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5.3 -- Device Drivers Put HP LTO 2 Drive to "Write protect mode"

CLakey
Level 3
Hi All,

Recently upgraded (in-place) BE 11d to 12.5.3.
After the upgrade, BE could not write to tape - reported something like "Alert: Media is write protected, please insert media to continue job"
Note:
  - Media was not physically write protected.
  - Write protection/retention was disabled on media set
  - Moving media to scratch set has same result
 - Creating new media set has same result
 - same error occurs when attempting to long erase tape

Run backup using NTBackup - same results :: Media is write protected.

As the Drive is a HP unit, I downloaded and installed HP tape tools utility. Scanning the device and it reports that the cartridge is 'write protected'.

I have tried using HP / Symantec (tapeinst) kernel mode drivers with the same result.
I logged a call with HP, but my drive is out of waranty by 2 months, though they confirmed latest drivers, firmware etc was installed.

Now, i would be inclined to think that this is an issue with the device, HOWEVER, I work for an IT company and this happened to one of our clients when in-place upgrading from 11d to 12.5.2 and pushing symantec kernel mode drivers using tapeinst.

I have actually moved our backup job to a fresh server, fresh BE 12.5.3 install (pushed drivers using tapeinst) and have the same result.

I'm a bit perplexed as this seems a little too coincidental to have happened to two units after the 12.5 upgrade.

I understand that BE should actaully be using user mode drivers and the kernel mode driver should be irrelevant(?): http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313418.htm

Any thoughts/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CLakey
Level 3
For all interested,

We advised client that this was a likely hardware issue. They ordered a new drive, swapped out the old and in with the new, using new cable (provided) and seperate SCSI channel (more from a cabling perspective - it fit better in the box etc).

After that, all has been working correctly, without issue.

NB:
- I don't believe cable or seperate SCSI channel has made any difference, it was simply more convenient as the cable was quite long and it fit better into the space etc..
- Using HP device drivers from 2007 (ie one less than current release)
- Not sure why symantec keep TapeInst util bundled in with backup exec when these drivers are no longer used by BE to interface with device (If I understand correctly... ?)

Cheers.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
This write protected seen is the screen is outside the software boundaries. It is a purely hardware thing from what it appears. Now, driver is a software which helps OS interact with hardware, so there is no reason why having a driver would change the setting permanently on the drive, if HP drive utility is showing it, HP must have a way to reverse it. There is not much that can be done through Backup Exec. Also, it would not be because of a driver, because it is some hardware change that has happened.

Thanks

CLakey
Level 3
For all interested,

We advised client that this was a likely hardware issue. They ordered a new drive, swapped out the old and in with the new, using new cable (provided) and seperate SCSI channel (more from a cabling perspective - it fit better in the box etc).

After that, all has been working correctly, without issue.

NB:
- I don't believe cable or seperate SCSI channel has made any difference, it was simply more convenient as the cable was quite long and it fit better into the space etc..
- Using HP device drivers from 2007 (ie one less than current release)
- Not sure why symantec keep TapeInst util bundled in with backup exec when these drivers are no longer used by BE to interface with device (If I understand correctly... ?)

Cheers.