cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 B2D weekly backups failing

Level 3

Hi

We have backup exec 12.5 (latest updates) on a single server, doing backup to disk. We do a weekly backup of everything on Friday evening, and an incremental backup every day after that.

Now we have an issue where the friday weekly backup fails with the message "e00081d9 - the backup exec job engine system service is not responding". Event Log does not provide any more information about this.

I have tested all log on accounts, and the Saturday backup was successfull

I think I know what caused this

A couple of weeks ago I decided to manually "archive" our B2D weekly files by marking them as scratch media then physically moving the files. I think I really screwed it by moving the IMG folder and the config files as well.

Then the next week, we had an error where the Friday backup was stuck on verify. So I turned off verify, ran the job again, was successfull and finished, then turned verification back on.

That leads us up to now, where the Friday backup doesnt work at all.

What's the easiest way to get my weekly backups to disk working? I read somewhere on here that if you rename the B2D Weekly folders, BE will automatically create a new B2D Weeklyfolder and everything will work. Does this sound like a suitable fix?

thanks for any help you can provide

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...if you know for definite you don't need your current B2D files in that server, go with #1...otherwise hang on to the files if you have the space, create a new B2D and direct the jobs there.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

Hi,

Just remove the B2D folder and re-add it within BE. This should fix your issue. if there is nothing in the B2D, then remove it from within BE, delete out of Windows, and then recreate within BE again with the same name.

Let BE handle expiring media as it's going to do it properly :)

Thanks!

Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply - my problem was there wasnt any limits on disk usage, so the server would fill up before it overwrites/apends the media. This was what caused me to manually archive and mess it up.

When you say remove the B2D folder, which option do I use for that? I only have the delete option for B2D Weekly.

The folder still has data in from the last successfull backup

cheers

CraigV

...if you delete from within BE, it doesn't delete off the disk. I've just run through this again on my side to confirm. So you delete out of BE, and then add it back in again within BE. Use the same name as before otherwise you have to reconfigure your jobs.

Level 3

Brilliant, thanks Craig.

The delete option is greyed out, I cant select it. Do you have any ideas about getting round that?

thanks again for the help

Level 3

Hmmm, I think my B2D daily is based on B2D weekly template so cant delete it as they are dependent on each other?

If I cant delete the B2D weekly folder to make it recreate another, should I....

A)associate with "retired" all my media (B2D daily and weekly), delete the folders and also the schedules and start again with brand new selections and media

or

B)Just create new selections, and new media. Archive/delete the old B2D daily/weekly when I know the new backup works.

thanks!

CraigV

...if you know for definite you don't need your current B2D files in that server, go with #1...otherwise hang on to the files if you have the space, create a new B2D and direct the jobs there.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

the server would fill up before it overwrites/apends the media. 

Go to Tools ---> Options and set this option

For B2D, there is no advantage to appending to the media, so always use overwrite for your jobs.

Another thing is to make sure that you fit everything that you want to keep on the disk.  For example, your disk is 1TB and the size of your backups is 300GB, so you cannot keep more than 3 backups on your disk.

Level 3

thanks people!

I will do this over the next few days so the first new backup is on Friday. I will come back and mark your answers as correct. Thanks a lot also for help with overwriting.

cheers