cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Backing up ISA Server 2004

RichardCresswel
Level 2
I am having problems pushing out the Remote agent onto our ISA servers.  They have been locked down as you would expect, but I am not sure what I need to open to allow Backup Exec to communicate with them?
2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hey Richard,

Not quite for BEWS 12.5, but for 10D instead. however, there are a number of known fixes for earlier versions of BEWS that have worked on newer versions.
Check it out...

http://www.backupexecfaq.com/articles/using/backing-up-microsoft-isa-server-2004.html

Let me know if this works or not!

(Credit to that particular website!)

JT_T
Level 5
Partner Certified
Hi Richard,

Before using BE agent for backing up ISA server, you might want to consider using only scripts for backing ISA server's rules.

Reason for this is that without taking ISA server down for backup, i think that you cannot successfully backup ISA's configuration, even when using AOFO (Advanced Open File Option).

If you want to backup your ISA log files, you should use MSDE database for ISA and either use BE's SQL Agent (not included with normal BEWS agent, need to buy SQL Agent which includes BEWS) or do some sql scripting.

If your company's security policies allows losing ISA log files, you might consider only backing up ISA's rules. Here's a script for that, successfully used it after found that from internet;

http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/ISA-Server-2006-Backup-Restore-Capabilities.html

It is possible to create a recurring backup of the ISA Server 2006 configuration. This feature is not built into ISA Server 2006 but you can create a small script and use this script with the built in Task Scheduler from Windows Server 2003.

Create a Script with the following content and save the script with the .VBS extension.

Dim fileName
Dim WSHNetwork
Dim shareName: shareName = WScript.Arguments(0)
Dim xmldom : set xmldom = CreateObject("Msxml2.DOMDocument")
Dim fpc : set fpc = WScript.CreateObject("Fpc.Root")
Dim array : set array = fpc.GetContainingArray
set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
fileName=shareName & "\" & WSHNetwork.ComputerName & "-" & _
Month(Now) & "-" & Day(Now) & "-" & Year(Now) & ".xml"
array.Export xmldom, 0
xmldom.save(fileName)

To execute the script, use the following syntax:

Cscript ISA2006Back.vbs \\SERVERNAME\ISABACKUP

Explanation:

• Cscript is the command line interpreter to execute VB scripts.
  • ISA2006Back.vbs is the VBS-Script to export the ISA configuration.
  • \\ServerName is the Name of the Server to which you would copy the configuration.
  • ISABACKUP is the name of the network share in which ISA Server 2006 should save the configuration.

Attention! Warning!

If you use only that script for backing up ISA's rules, you still need to manually export ISA's configuration whenever you create/change/remove SSL Listeners because that script cannot backup/export certificates and those settings.

Shortly, if you want to backup only ISA's rules, modify and use that script i posted, then backup that file from network share.

If you do need to backup also log files, it would be good to have MSDE database for ISA and Backup Exec's SQL agent for that. And also backup/export ISA rules with that script, then backup those files with BE.

Port settings you can find from CraigV's post.

Forgot to write that easiest way to push install would be creating access rule for ISA and allow all traffic to both directions, after deploying agent limit traffic to only those ports needed for successfull backup.