cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Backup-to-Disk folders won't overwrite

timstumbo
Level 3

All of my backups are going to Backup-to-Disk folders. I have all the devices and media set to overwrite, but for some reason my hard drive keeps filling up over and over again and I'm having to go in and manually delete backups. Its like the media sets are not overwriting one another. Is this happening because I'm not running Inventory and Catalog jobs? Should these be run after each backup?

I have 3 media sets.. (Exchange1, Exchange2, Exchange3) , then I have 3 backup-to-disk folders (Exchange1, Exchange2, Exchange3), then I have 3 seperate jobs going to each individual backup set and device. Each backup-to-disk folder keeps growing until i'm out of space on the hard drive, not sure why my media sets won't overwrite.

Thanks for the help.

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What overwrite protection setting do you have on your media sets?

Do your media sets allow append?

What media protection setting do you have against the server (Partial etc)?

Are you set to overwrite recyclable before scratch or scratch before recyclable?

Is each backup jonbs set to overwrote or append?

What is maximum size of your BKF files set to?

timstumbo
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, here are the settings.

Exchange1 Media Set
-------------------------------
Overwrite protection period: None - Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite
Append period: None - Infinite - Allow Append

Exchange1 Backup-To-Disk Folder
-------------------------------------------------
Maximum size for backup-to-disk files: 4GB
Maximum number of backup sets per backup-to-disk file: 10

Exchange1 Job Properties
-------------------------------------
Device and Media - When the job beings - Overwite Media
General - Backup method for files - Full - Using archive bit

Does this answer all your questions?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Overwrite protection period: None - Infinite - Don't Allow Overwrite

As this setting says, "Don't Allow Overwrite" which means that your media will NEVER be overwritten.  If you want to overwrite your media, you got to set the OPP to some reasonable period, like 1 week.

Go to Tools ---> Options and make sure you have set BE to "Use recycleable media in the targeted media set before using scratch media"

timstumbo
Level 3

I have 7 different jobs using different media and different backup-to-disk folders. Does that mean if I set the OPP to 1 Day that media cannot be overwritten within that 24 hour period, but anything after that is fine?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Yes.  That is correct, but are you sure you only want to retain your backups for only 1 day?