cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12,5 Exchange Backup job ( with GRT ) ends with VFF open failure error

Lennart-Live
Level 3

Hi,

We currently use Backup Exec 12.5 and Exchange 2007. We did not do an upgrade from 11D but a fresh install and brand new config.

During week days de backup job ends every with this error:

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified opti...
The strange thing is that during backup jobs in the weekend the job ends with: Completed succesfully.

It looks like the error during week days is caused by heavy usage of the Exchange server. We have about 500 users and mailboxes.

Can anyone help me resolve this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Anup
Level 6
Certified
Do u take full back on weekdays.
Try increamental backup on weekdays?

Lennart-Live
Level 3

Hi Anup,

We only take full backup's every day? Why should we use incremental?

The problem is still bugging us.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I had the same problem, I resolved it installaing MAPI CDO 1.2.1

It is essential to install MAPI CDO 1.2.1 on Exchange Server

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displa...

Best Regards

Lennart-Live
Level 3

HI,

MAPI CDO 1.2.1 was already installed on exchange server but nog yet on backup server .

So, i installed it on Backup server.

HAMZAOUI_Omar
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

Yes on my backup Server, Exchnage Tools and MAPI CDO are installed

Lennart-Live
Level 3

Hi,

Yesterday we installed MAPI CDO. On the Backup server.

Still the Job fails.

We are getting frustrated.

JasonV1
Level 3

Tough one to troubleshoot as there could be a number of causes.

First of all make sure that your Exchange maint window is long enough that the offline defrags (one per database) actually complete. You should see event log entries when the offline defrags start and stop. The text of the entries varies depending on what version of Exchange you are running but once you learn to spot them it is simple (look for "ese" as the message source).

Most important: Make sure that your backup job never conflicts with your Exchange maint windows OR that the maint windows conflict with one another.

If you learn that your backup job has been overlapping with your maint window change it asap and (if possible) run an offline defrag and isinteg (after a backup of course).

Also, there is an update rollup for VSS that is not available via Windows update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

There is more stuff that can be done but these seem to be key based on the troubleshooting I have been doing over the last few months.

Jason