cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Exchange GRT and Recover deleted items

halibut
Level 2

When a user empties the Outlook Deleted Items Folder, the emails are retained for a period of time defined on the exchange server.

Can I recover the retained emails using an Exchange GRT? I can't seem them in the Deleted Items folder for the user when drilling down into the information store on the recover job configuration.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Do I need to switch something on when configuring the recovery to see them?

Do I need to switch something on in the original backup job to back these up?

Any help greatfully received.

I.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

There would be nothing else to configure within BE. It would backup whatever it can see in the Information Store.

Are these backups done to tape? If so, have you tried to stage to disk first and then do the restore?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

halibut
Level 2
Hi Craig, thanks for the reply. I used to have to do this under 11d, as it wou;ldn't show me the granular info for backups to tape. However it all works fine on 12.5. I can see the itmes in the varous folders and recover them (it stages to disk automatically) I just can't 'see' the deleted items that have be emptied from the Deleted Items folder to run the restore on. H.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Mmm...again, I haven't seen any additional settings in BE around this. Your other option is to duplicate to disk, and then use something like Ontrack Power Controls to pull the information out. I know I am mentioning a third party tool, but you don't run BE 2012 which can restore to *.pst.

Download the trial version and see if you get the same issue or not. If you do, then the issue is possibly with Exchange itself.Then run an NTbackup of Exchange and see if you can do your restore. If not...then the issue really lies with Exchange as you have tried 3 different backup/restore applications.

Thanks!

halibut
Level 2
Looking at this MS document it looks like I need to find a way to use GRT on the "Deletions" or possibly the "Purges" folder: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2786067