cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 - Jobs start slow

Kia
Level 2

Hello,

At our office we are running Backup Exec 12.5, I've created several jobs for the server backup 1 job for Exchange 1 job for the System States and 1 backup per server. These run sequential, the first backup triggers the next and so on. In the weekends we run a Full backup and through the rest of the week differentials.

Everything works great only the third, fourth, fifth and so on start about 1 hour after the job start. Below part of the log:

Family Name: "Media created 18-4-2011 21:53:11"
Backup of "\\*FQDN*\C:" as ""
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "******* - Differential"
Backup Method: Differential - Changed Files

Backup started on 18-4-2011 at 22:54:21.
Backup completed on 18-4-2011 at 22:54:22.

Backup Set Summary
Backed up 0 files in 2 directories.
Processed 768 bytes in  1 second.
Throughput rate: 0.044 MB/min
Compression Type: None

Please let me know if anyone has an explaination why this is happening, because we have 8 jobs like these the backup takes 7 hours for just loading.

Thank you in advance for your assitance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are there any alerts that are waiting for a scheduled response when each subsequent job kicks off?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are there any alerts that are waiting for a scheduled response when each subsequent job kicks off?

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If it only shows loading then probably your tape drive or library has problems. Look at the logs and maybe run hardware diagnostics on it.

Kia
Level 2

Hello,

Thank you for your responses. But there are no error messages in Windows Eventlog or in the Symantec Alerts window except for:

"The Symantec ThreatCon Level is not up-to-date."

But I doubt that would cause any real problems.

In regards to the tape or library problems its a backup-to-folder (sorry for not mentioning this sooner) and the folders are on a (new) NAS with new disks so I don't assume that would give any problems.

But if you have any further ideas please let me know.

Kia
Level 2

CraigV, you were correct the Media overwrite protection message was waiting to be responded but it did so automatticaly after an hour without warning. That's why I didn't see any messages.

I found it out when scrolling through the Windows Event log. I was searching for error or warning messages earlier but it was just an "Information" message.