cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Off Host backups

duncann
Level 3

Hi,

We are currently running Symantec Backup exec 12.5 Rev 2213 on our Windows 2003 SP2 media server. This device uses traditional windows agents to backup our windows servers, as well as the Advanced Disk-based Backup Option for offhost snap-shot based backups of our SANs.

I have two questions regarding our Backup Exec estate:

1. We were eligible for a free upgrade from our 12.5 system to Backup Exec 2010, but were advised by a reseller that we would need to buy new licenses for all our Advanced Disk-based Backup Options, as well as our Remote agents for windows. Could you tell me whether this is true?
  2. We have tried to backup a new W2008 R2 64bit server using two new copies of Advanced Disk-based Backup Options. The snapshot backups have failed and directed us to the following article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48516

The article seems to suggest that we need to have a copy Backup Exec running on a W2008R2 server, in order for us to backup another W2008R2 server using offline backups. Is this the case? If so would what would happen if we tried to backup older versions of windows operating systems e.g. W2003 and W2008 32bit?We are concerned that we would need to have backup exec installed on every variety of server, in order to perform offhost backups of other operating systems.

I look forward to your reply 

4 REPLIES 4

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

To answer you 1st question , when you upgrade the media server license along with all the agent license should be upgraded . So you need to make sure you have upgraded license keys before you proceed with the upgrade . refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH51162 .

If you want the backup to run Via SAN you need to install Backup exec on the all the server and you need the SAN storage option as well. or else you need just a remote agent installed on the remote server .

duncann
Level 3

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying, but I have only just returned from a Holiday.

Just to be explicitly clear on my first point. Will my existing agent licenses for the advanced disk-based option and remote agents for windows still work, if i upgraded to 2010?

Duncan

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

You would need to upgrade all the licenses . so the licese key fo ADBO option version 12.5 will not work on BE 2010 so you need to get a ADBO license key for version 2010.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  All keys for BE 12.5 will not work with BE 2010.  You would have to get new keys.  If you have a current maintenance contract you should be able to get the new keys for free.