cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 : Restore exchange information data store on external driver.

vickyj
Level 4
Employee

Is it possible to restore exchange information data store on external driver without using any Backup Exec agent. ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

The above is not wrong as you can see on forum in the past user have done the same

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-2003-flat-file-restore-problem

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No.  You would need the Exchange agent.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

We can perform restore to drive of exchange data if it meets the following requirement

1 Backpexec version to bE above 12.5

2 Exchange backup has to be using VSS that is snapshot backup

3 Were you are doing restore on to a drive has to be exchange server whether it might be the same or different

About agent is required or not yes agent would be required in this case when doing restore agent means remote agent

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87383

Thanks

vickyj
Level 4
Employee

Thank you

vickyj
Level 4
Employee

Thank you for the quick responce.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You can't actually...12.5 and above doesn't allow a file-based restore of Exchange (or SQL for that matter!) to disk. It's a restore to another Exchange server, a restore to the same server, or a duplicate-to-disk of the Exchange Information Store. I've never read, nor seen requests for this on the forums or in any sort of documentation.

So the answer is wrong...read the article below on how to duplicate to disk which gives you the Exchanfe flat files...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Thanks!

CraigV

Vicky: Sorry, I need to clarify something here...

1. Are you trying to restore Exchange FROM an external HDD from another server?

2. Are you trying to restore Exchange TO an external HDD from another source (like external HDD/tape) in order to get the flat files.

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

The above is not wrong as you can see on forum in the past user have done the same

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/exchange-2003-flat-file-restore-problem

Hope that helps

Thanks

vickyj
Level 4
Employee

I don't have Exchange server now nor backup exec agent for exchange. So just wanted to know if I can restore exchange information data store on external driver. Yes External drive could be External Hard Drive or Tape drive. It is possible without any kond of agent installed ?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi there

A  As said in my above post if you have exchange backup using backupexec which is snapshot backup & want to restore it to dirve on same or any other exchange server  then you can use the above solution

B  Also if you have GRT backup of exchange for example on tape & if you only require edb file that is database file then you can duplicate backup from tape to disk which would build img folder & in that img folder you will see database file for exchange & if GRT backup of exchange is done directly on disk  you will see the IMG folder there from which you can copy the database file

But in this process exchange agent would be required as you are doing GRT backup, if it is not GRT backup then you cannot get that database file nor from disk or nor from tape in that case first method that is A  would be useful if it is snapshot backup you can restore it to drive so that you can get database file in this case whether it is GRT or non GRT would not make difference

Hope that helps

Thanks

CraigV

Thanks Vicky...OK, the response above is also a bit misleading...you can duplicate your backup to disk. Read my article I posted above...this leaves you with the *.edb, *.stm files and logs committed during the backup etc.

You won't need an agent for this, but connect the external disk to your local media server rather. Restoring to another server without a RAWS agent would probably see you in contravention of licensing agreements with Symantec.