cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 SP4 replacing external HD, include esent.dll files?

RobbieTheK
Level 3

Our external hard drive is failing and we will be replacing it. I noticed dozens of esent.dll files within directories that start with IMG. Are all of these necessary to copy to the replacement hard drive? Some screen shots of the files are included. Are the esent.dll files essential for recovery in old backups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If all they contain is the esent.DLL then what has happened is when the reclaim (sort of an overwrite operation) occurred something was locking that DLL which means we could not empty the folder and could not therefore delete the folder during normal backup exec operations.I believe we have researched what might lock these files and are there are technotes disucssing it (although as we have not seen that issue in some time and you are running an old version, it may be we have changed code in newer versions of Backup Exec to avoid it)

However for the purposes of your question no theses IMG folders are not are not needed and in fact you should find the IMG folders you can see in this state are not showing in the BE media list.

BTW If it is  more than just this DLL in the IMG folder then it is needed and should be copied as such be careful to check each folder and if unsure copy it anyway.

EDIT: I just checked your screenshots 

IMG001770 you do need as it contains a backup set

IMG001742 you do not need as it is an example of a folder that could not reclaim fully because of a lock on the DLL

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
I would suggest that you copy everything over to the new disk

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If all they contain is the esent.DLL then what has happened is when the reclaim (sort of an overwrite operation) occurred something was locking that DLL which means we could not empty the folder and could not therefore delete the folder during normal backup exec operations.I believe we have researched what might lock these files and are there are technotes disucssing it (although as we have not seen that issue in some time and you are running an old version, it may be we have changed code in newer versions of Backup Exec to avoid it)

However for the purposes of your question no theses IMG folders are not are not needed and in fact you should find the IMG folders you can see in this state are not showing in the BE media list.

BTW If it is  more than just this DLL in the IMG folder then it is needed and should be copied as such be careful to check each folder and if unsure copy it anyway.

EDIT: I just checked your screenshots 

IMG001770 you do need as it contains a backup set

IMG001742 you do not need as it is an example of a folder that could not reclaim fully because of a lock on the DLL