cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Server 2008 with Previous Versions turned on

Tyler_Bergman
Level 2

I have a Windows 2003 x64 server loaded with Backup Exec 12.5 that backs up a remote Windows Server 2008 x64 machine that has a volume setup for snapshots that are taken everyday.  The backup completes everyday and says that it is succesful with the correct amount of bytes from the server 2008 box. 

When I tried to do a restore back to this box or redirect the backup to another location the restore completes with success with 0 bytes written.  I have since turned off AOFO off in the hopes that this is causing my problem.  But I won't be able to check to see if this is true until tomorrow.  I am a little edgy on if I have a good backup of the Windows 2008 box as I cannot extract any of the what I would believe to be good backups off of the backup set. 

Am I missing something here that I have overlooked?  Is there something special that I need to be doing to backup these file shares?  I have looked high and low the only thing that I can find is a reference to server 2008 R2 problems of which I am not running.  From what I can tell I should be able to run this configuration with no problem.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I don't understand what your title has to do with your problem.

Are the files that you are trying to restore under DFS-R?  If so, you need to back them up using the Shadow Copy Component.  If you back them up by selecting the files in the normal way, they would not be backed up.

Also, check that you have the necessary permissions to write to the restore location.

Tyler_Bergman
Level 2

Sorry there should be an "backup of" between Backup Exec 12.5 and Server 2008.

The title refelcts the "Previous Versions" tab that is present when you pull the properties of a file or folder that has scheduled volume snapshots.  Which I can admit is a little confusing. 

The volume is not setup for DFS-R in anyway. The only odd item about the volume that I backing up is that it has automatic snapshots turned on. This is from the idea that we would not have to use a restore that often due to the availability of a "Previous Version" builtin to the volume snapshot.  But on testing a restore to a redirected location I am unable to restore a file that was backed up from the volume that has volume snapshots turned on.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Ahh! You are talking about shadow copies of files.  These are not volume snapshots.  These are called shadow copies.

I use shadow copies on my volumes and I have no problem restoring the files and their shadow copies.  Restoring the files themselves is just like normal file restores.  If you need to restore the shadow copies (previous versions), then you need to restore the shadow copy component if you have backed this up.

Have you tried turning off shadow copies and see whether it solves your problem?  If you don't know how, search the Web.

If you are on a current maintenance contract, I would advise you to upgrade to at least BE 2010 R2, if not BE 2012.