cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 Sometimes Slow

Jim_L
Level 3

We are using BE 12.5 to backup about 1TB of data D2D using USB drives. About 60% of the time the backup is quick, 2000MB/min. or faster, but occasionally it runs under 1,000MB/min. and doesn't complete in under 24 hours. I have found no correlation between the slow backups and which physical USB drive we use or which USB 3.0 port we use. The drives are all USB 3.0. The most recent backup that was running was pegging CPU utilization on one core of the server for bengine.exe. It also seemed like Kernel memory utilization was high at around 300MB. I have tried defragmenting the .bkf file, but that seems to make no difference. I checked a few drives and natively I can copy large files to the drives well over the 2000 MB/min. we get on a quick backup, so it doesn't look like a drive throughput issue. Other than upgrading to a newer version of BE, is there something else I should try? Thanks,

Jim

21 REPLIES 21

Jim_L
Level 3

Thanks for all of your help, but the file size and properties of the USB drives don't appear to be the issue. I say that because Monday night the backup rate was 591 MB/Min before I cancelled it. I used the same USB drive with the same settings last night and it ran at 2,700 MB/Min.

Any other ideas of where to look? I have restarted all of the associated BE remote agents and that doesn't seem to have an effect.

Bruce_Martin
Level 3

Jim L, did you ever get your backup speeds to a consistant rate?