cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 and Exchange 2007 Help

mikey1120
Level 2
I am new to Backup Exec 12.5 and need help setting up a backup job for my Exchange Server.  I have Exchange 2007 on a Windows 2008 x64 OS. 

I have tried to set up a Backup Job and I'm able to see the Information Store within my Exchange Server and go all the way to Mailbox Database.  In the past with BE 10, I was able to see individual mailboxes, but now I cannot, which is fine as long as I can restore individual mailboxes.  I am also using GRT for the backup.  After the backup is complete, I try to do a restore test and cannot see the backup job at all in the Restore Job Wizard.  What am I missing here?

Basically, I need to be set up to restore individual mailboxes and I have read many threads on this but none of them help for this specific situation.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When creating the backup job for Exchange 2007 you will NOT see individual mailboxes.  You will only see the Information Stores.  After the backup has completed of the Exchange Information Stores, check your restore selections and you should be able to drill down to individual mailboxes and items.  If you can't, check the backup job properties in the Exchange section and make sure the check box for Granual Restore Technology is checked. 

If the backup was successful you should be able to drill down to mailboxes, if not I would strongly suggest giving a call into support to have them debug the backup to find out why it's not showing the mailboxes.

If the backup is failing, what is the error in the backup job?

Also make sure you have SP2 installed on the media server and you updated the remote agent after installing SP2.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
When creating the backup job for Exchange 2007 you will NOT see individual mailboxes.  You will only see the Information Stores.  After the backup has completed of the Exchange Information Stores, check your restore selections and you should be able to drill down to individual mailboxes and items.  If you can't, check the backup job properties in the Exchange section and make sure the check box for Granual Restore Technology is checked. 

If the backup was successful you should be able to drill down to mailboxes, if not I would strongly suggest giving a call into support to have them debug the backup to find out why it's not showing the mailboxes.

If the backup is failing, what is the error in the backup job?

Also make sure you have SP2 installed on the media server and you updated the remote agent after installing SP2.

mikey1120
Level 2
Thanks for the responses.

Chicojrman:  I checked out all the links but none of them really explained my situation.

Ben L.:  I have checked GRT and the backup succeeds, I just cannot find that job in the Restore Job list.  I just downloaded SP2 and updated the remote agent and I will give it another shot tonight.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can't find that "job" in the Restore Job list.  You should be locating the Resource or Device(Media) it was backed up to.  After clicking on the Restore button, make sure that on the selections screen it is set to "View by Resource". Then you should be able to browse to the Exchange server, expand it out and see the Microsoft Information Store backups.  Expand out the Microsoft Information Store and you will be able to drill down to individual mailboxes and items.

mikey1120
Level 2
I downloaded SP2 and tried the job again and it worked this time!  I'm not sure if it was in fact the SP2 that did the trick, but either way this is fixed.  I appreciate your help!