cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 w/ Buffalo Terastation

dwinkler
Level 2
I have a Buffalo Terastation setup as a NAS. I am completely unable to back it up using BE 12.5. Everything I try results in the following error message:

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Friday, October 02, 2009 at 10:52:33 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe29 - Authentication failed on connection to the server. Make sure that the user account has the appropriate permissions and that the password was typed correctly.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65065

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- 192.168.16.32
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine 192.168.16.3... The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation. Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

I don't want it to use a remote agent... it's a NAS! Is there any way to back up data from a NAS without a regular OS on it?
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I don't want it to use a remote agent... it's a NAS! Is there any way to back up data from a NAS without a regular OS on it?

You should  be able to create User Defined Share using either the NetBIOS name or IP address to backup shares on the NAS.

See
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/242619.htm
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/237737.htm

teiva-boy
Level 6
 You may want to verify what authentication method Windows is using vs the SOHO NAS you have.  
Basically verify that the NTLM versions are compatible.  My guess is that SAMBA is running on that thing, and set to NTLMv1, and your Windows server is set to a higher level.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This error will always appear in the job log, as it does not find a remote agent on the target machine. So, you need to verify whether it actually did backup data by checking the restore selections. Also, ensure that NDMP is disabled on the terrastation, as it is not supported for this hardware.

Thanks

linksystems
Not applicable
My client receives notification if the backup has been a success or failure and obviously gets a message to this effect (as above) due to missing remote agent on Terastation. I would like to exclude this error from the job log as the data on the Terastation is being backed up via a share and would rather my client didn't freak out everytime a 'job failed' e-mail is received, Can I exclude the error from the job log?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sorry.

customizeable/filterable error messages are not offered by Symantec

You could try asking for this on the "Ideas" are  of the forum (top menu bar, far right), but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it