cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5 with multiple sets of tapes

wingnut144
Level 4

Ok, for a long time we have been using the same set of 8 tapes in our HP Ultrium tape drive.

Now we're looking at having a rotating set of tapes, and my question is this:

If I have tape names and descriptions for the old set of tapes, are those names written to the tape data and are those names specific to the tapes?  So if I put in another set of tapes that may have been used a while ago and have different names, will those new names now show up in "Media > all media"  or will the names remain the same?

I guess I'm asking if I need to define 1 set of names for the tapes, and not worry about which set is in there, as long as the name matches the tape that a job is assigned to.....

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

When BackupExec writes the header info  for a new Overwrite job, it will leave the Volume-ID the same, but will re-write all the rest of the info, including the name

wingnut144
Level 4

So, if I name the tapes under the 'all media' section, that name will be written to both tapes???

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

should be

When you look in the restore selection window, if you change to Media View, the same tape name should appear with multiple dates and volumeIDs