cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12.5

TurGe
Level 3

I am having issues with backup exec on a couple of machines in our HQ domain, the machines are used as file servers and are replicated between each other.
Up until recently the systems were backing up ok but now are not backing up all selections.
Both machines have selection lists which include C: F: G:
C: Main OS Drive
F: & G: are HP storage bays.
Backupexec is giving no erros but is not backing up F & G

If any one has any Ideas or needs more information to give a response please ask away.

Many thanks

Mark
12 REPLIES 12

Dev_T
Level 6
Please let me know the exact error message....If possible, upload the job logs

TurGe
Level 3

Hi
There is no error message given we look at the back up job and it gives a success status but looking at the bytes written there is on 32 gig when we have drives of the following size
c: 33.6 gig Used
d: 70 gig Used
f:  500 gig Used

Dev_T
Level 6

Hello,

Create a new selection list with the same selections. Go to the "View by Resources" option and check if all the selected items are listed, Incorporate the new selection list in the job and try backups....

For test purpose, create a new job selecting 2-3 small folders from  C, F and G drives an dperform backup....

Hope this helps...

TurGe
Level 3
Hi
The log file I sent is from a replication of the original selection list as I though it could be something to do with the original selection list being corrupt we still get the same issue, we did think it was a permission issue but have reapplied all access permissions to the drives for the user used for backup exec, I have also tested the "Resource Credentials" which all show as successful.
Stumped is the word :)

bytehajo
Not applicable
Hi Community,

the installation of BE V12.5 under WIN 2008 R2 is finished, BE works fine.
When trying to update to SP3 via Symantec LiveUpdate, the prozedure fails with an error message LU8012. Looking for error LU8012, the suggestion is to complete deinstall BE and install it fresh, what' ve done, with the same result when updating to SP3.

Cheers, Hajo

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
WIN 2008 R2 as a media server is not supported until BE 2010.  the v12.5 Remote Agent(with a patch)  is supported on that OS

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Turge,

I take it the C: drive is your working windows drive?  if D: and F: are file shares (whereas C: will have more open / running files), try changing the resource order to have it grab D: and F: before C:.  If BE has a problem accessing files / folders on C: it may not be jumping ahead to D: or F: (though you said you didn't get any error messages).

Are you backing up to tape or a B2D folder?  Do your option specify a maximum backup size?  Do you have enough room on your backup media (you would probably be getting an error if space was an issue)?

Also, are your HP Storage bays NASes or are they directly attached to the machine you are backing up C: on?  Looks like your C: and F: drives are internal, and your G: drive is a NAS from your log details?

TurGe
Level 3
I will try the resource order see if that makes a difference, and report back.
The backup is to Tape LTO3 800GIG
Cheers for your suggestions
Mark

TurGe
Level 3
Still having issues with the system not backing up the main data files other than OS drive.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

In your original message you indicate that Repliaction is involved - are you talking about DFS-R? If so DFS-R is backed up by Shadow Copy Components and selecting the file system will run into a hidden/active file exclusion which will not be reported in the job logs.

TurGe
Level 3
Yes it is using DFS-R is there a way round this so that the system will start to back up all data again.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this....

TurGe
Level 3

Hi Colin
I made a change to the backup selecttion last night to include the
Shadow Copy Components > User Data > Distributed File System Replication > DfsrReplicationFolders
This was deselected a while ago as the system was failing to backup because of locked files in these folders, having reselected them again last night I now have a much larger backup.
Just need to check what is on the tape.
Is there something I should be setting within Backup Exec so that it handles DFSR correctly.
Cheers