cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 Brick level backup

LIITcom
Level 4

Hi,

We setup a backup job a few weeks ago, with GRT enabled for us to be able to restore single emails within a users mailbox.

When testing this yesterday we were unable to see any user mailboxes to navigate to a user email and restore this. All settings look correct so i am a bit stumped as to why this is not backing up correctly, unless i have missed something out.

15 REPLIES 15

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

What version of exchange are you running ?

You need to make sure you backup exec acount have proper rights on exchange and also all the pre-requisite isntalled. refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH184449

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

As i see your backupset is on tape so you can duplicate the backup to disk and see if you are able to see the restore selection.If you are not able to see the restore selection after duplicating the backup to disk , you can restore the mailbox store to the Recovery storage group and extract the data you want . 

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hill

If backup exec version is on BE12.0 or 12.5 then ensure on first place it is fully patched up using live update and try uninstallaing and reinstalling remote agent once on exchange server.

Also since when this is happening.what version of exchange is this

Thanks

LIITcom
Level 4

Hi RahulG,

Exchange version is 2003.

The account has all the appropriate permissions, and all pre-requisites are installed.

We would like the option to simply view the user mailboxes within the console to restore the single item for quickness, as this originally worked a few years ago when we was running the backups.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Ensure you have got the setup as per the link below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH21357

Moreover can you try doing backup to disk directly and see if that helps .

Thanks

LIITcom
Level 4

We have reinstalled the remote agent and will schedule a restart of the server with the backup exec console on. I will let you know the outcome of the backup.

LIITcom
Level 4

Hi,

We have updated the backup exec console and re-installed the remote agent on the exchange server.

Unfortunately, we are still unable to view individual mailbox's to restore single emails when required to.

This has happened since we started backing up the exchange again about a month ago. Exchange 2003 updated to latest patch/Service pack.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

I would check if for the exchange job GRT option is check in exchange and AOFO is diabled and also as requested earlier is it possible to do backup to disk with GRT on in this case  once

Thanks

LIITcom
Level 4

Just a thought, can you confirm if we are infact licenced for the brick level backup, and that we are not missing a licence from somewere:

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

You brick level back is not supported way of backup & yes from the licesne I see Exchange agent license there which should allow you to backup the Informattion store

I am still waiting on an update how does GRT backup on disk works

Thanks

LIITcom
Level 4

I will be backing up to disk tonight and i will let you know the outcome tomorrow morning.

Regarding your message 'You brick level back is not supported way of backup' ....What do you mean by this? Do you mean that we need another licence for backing up the exchange at brick level?

Thanks.

LIITcom
Level 4

Hi,

Backing up to local disk works. We are able to view and restore individual emails within everyones mailboxes.

LIITcom
Level 4

Tape doesn't allow us to restore individual emails still after wiping the tape of all exisiting data.

Any other ideas for us to test would be a great help?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Thanks for the update and good to see disk backup working fine here now about first question asked what it mean brick level backup is not supported , yes it is not supported as it is legacy way of backing up Exchange , were we perform individual mailbox backup in that way and it is very slow. As Symantec has introduced GRT way of doing backup means backing up the whole information store and not the individual mailbox which is the recommended way here

Hope that clear the confusion now , about tape backup still not working , before that you have to do last isolation here can you please try doing a a single email restore from the disk backup you have done and see that works or give error like attach to resource let me know

Thanks

LIITcom
Level 4

Hi,

I can restore emails from the local disk backup, but not the tape backup.

Sorry, what do you man by doing a last isolation?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

Able to restore from disk means sure everything is setup properly which means we have done all isolation required it would be good to see debug log during tape backup and restore and for this if you can officially open a case with Symantec we can investigate this.

Thanks