cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 crashing when trying to configure E-mail alerts

Evil_Robot
Level 3
When I select the option to configure E-mail alerts, I get this message in a pop-up window and then the program UI crashes.

A severe application error has occurred.
Exception: System.AccessViolationException
Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Stack Trace:     at BackupExec.UI.BEDlgs.ConfigureEmailAndPagerNotification()
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a6(Command A_0)
   at BackupExec.UIFramework.CommandManager.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.a(String[] A_0)
   at BackupExec.UI.MainForm.b(String[] A_0)

The program runs fine and this server is less than 1 year old.  I'm pretty sure the memory is ok.

Help?
3 REPLIES 3

Jiri_Kvarda
Level 3
Run install again and select Repair.
It helped me on all my installations of BEWS 12.

Evil_Robot
Level 3
UPDATE on this issue.

Called tech support.  Was informed that this early version of Backup Exec 12 is not compatible with .NET framework 2.0 SP1

I was instructed to:
  1. Uninstall .NET framework 2.0 SP1
  2. Install .NET framework 2.0 (from the install media that came with Backup Exec 12)
  3. Reboot the computer
  4. Repair the installation of the Backup Exec
  5. Rebot the computer again.
This solved the problem.  E-mail alerts can now be configured.

John_T__Croson
Level 4
Well that's nice...

If you have .Net 3.0 installed, you have to uninstall it FIRST, before you are able to uninstall .Net 2.0 SP1.

Why not just release YAP© (yet another patch Smiley Very Happy ) to fix this, so I don't have to break anything?