cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 doesn't touch the .edb files for Exchange 2007

Justin81
Level 3
Hi,
   Probably a common question for a variety of reasons but can you tell me why Backup Exec 12 would fail to back up .edb files for Exchange 2007 when the entire DB1 and DB2 folders have been checked?
    When I go in and take a look at the Selections in the tree, all of the folders and files for DB1 and DB2 are selected but the actual database files themselves (DB1.edb and DB2.edb) only have a slash through them rather than a checkmark.  When the backup is finished, I get a notification to say that it completed successfully.   All of the other files and folders in there will be available for restore.  It's as if it just doesn't see these files or as if they have an attribute which marks them for exclusion.  I know that there is an option which excludes files which are currently in use and that this would include the database files since they are still mounted but we have backed them up in the past without any issues. I followed the instructions for the registry hack to include files which are currently in use but I still see this issue.   Can it be down to GRT/AOFO being enabled (I have disabled both as far as I'm aware and the issue remains).  Checking the Event Logs for the Media Server, the errors vary depending on which files I'm trying to back up and whether GRT/AOFO were enabled.  They are

The job failed with the following error: Access is denied.
The job failed with the following error: The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.  Etc. 

I have tried changing the account name, the credentials test works with 'Used Server Credentials', the username buadmin has been allocated the rights on the EDB files.  The only major change that I can think of is that we changed the tape drive.  All jobs were redirected after the drive was installed.  I have tried selecting the files in the tree as they appear on the F: and H: drives of the virtual machine and also the DB1, DB2 and Public folders from the Microsoft Information Store.and on this occasion, it ran for 54 minutes, for 107GB by the looks of things but when I look at the restore, everything but the edb files are present.
Can you advise please?
Many Thanks in advance,
Justin Forde.
6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Since v9.0, BackupExec has used a technique called Active File Exclusion to bypass selected database file-types (since you need an agent to get a reliable  backup of a running database, and most sites cannot shut down the database(s) every night during backups.  (these bypassed files are not listed as skipped in the log file either)

You can turn it off if you want to run a flat-file/cold  backup of the Exchange files.  See http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm

Justin81
Level 3
Thanks for your response Ken but as I mentioned, I've tried the registry hack and added the Dword for Active File Exclusion in but I still see the edb files being skipped.  I have run this hack on the media server which hosts the tape drive - do I need to run it also on the Exchange Server?
Many Thanks,
Justin.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
No,  the tweak just needs to be done on the media server

if you have done it there, 

Are you getting "In use - skipped" warnings?  if so that is because Exchange has those files/dbs "open exlcusive" so BE cannot grab them.  And DO NOT try to use AOFO to backup Exchange (or any other database for that matter)

Justin81
Level 3
Hi Ken,
  No I don't see any failure warnings when it skips the files.  It's as if it just doesn't see them.   Occasionally, I will see errors to say that the device or mount has failed or the tape will run out of space but I don't think that these issues are related.   I can perform a backup of the folder which houses the DB1 folder and the check file and the RSG folders which are contained alongside the DB1 folder will get backed up (including the EDB files which form the Recovery Storage groups).
We are backing up other files and folders in this backup and the EDB files have always been included before so should I turn off AOFO for the entire job?   We are backing up a wide range of files, folders and databases in this job.
Many Thanks,
Justin.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No I don't see any failure warnings when it skips the files.  It's as if it just doesn't see them.

That sure sounds like AFE is active for Exchange files

so should I turn off AOFO for the entire job

Veritas and now Symantec have always recommended that database backups be placed in a different job that flat-file backups (I'd even go so far as to say SQL/Exchange/Notes/Oracle all in different jobs) 

Justin81
Level 3
I have changed the registry hack from 0 to 1 (does it matter if it's hex or decimal? I guess it's the same thing) because I had read that this might help.  When I go in and try to back the EDB files up, DB1.edb, DB2.edb and Public.edb are still greyed out.  I can select the entire folder and then deselect what I don't want to be backed up and the job will run (with the slashmark on the edbs) but the files will be skipped with no warnings as if they weren't there.  This is with or without AOFO enabled.  I have tried this as part of a full nightly backup and a job in it's own right. I can also choose to back up the First Storgage Groups in Microsoft Information Store.  I have also tried changing the backup credentials, pausing and unpausing the server etc, restarting the services.  When I check the backups and attempt a restore, these files aren't listed.