cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 12 problems backing up Exchange 2007 SP1 with SCR

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
Hi,
I have just installed backup exec 12 on a server, ran live update until nothing was left to isntall, installed the agent on my exchange server which is 2007 SP1 with SCR setup. I then tried to run the exchange enabled backup with GRT + 'backup passive then try active' in the LCR/CCR option and while it does report a success, the job log has an error as follows:

Backup- \\mailserver\Microsoft Information Store\DEVELOPMENT
Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).

I have also noticed that while we have 5 items under 'Microsoft Information Store' on my latest attempt to backup, only 3 of them recieved the above (and below) errors.

If I look at the Exchange logs from when this happened, I see the following errors:

ID: 2038
Source: MSExchangeRepl
Category: Exchange VSS Writer
The Microsoft Exchange VSS Writer (instance f0b6a572-34a0-43ca-9dcb-c91cd8d1ea9b) backup failed for storage group '2a6762fe-b6ca-4d7a-85fb-1ef22de1e601'. No log files were truncated.

ID: 2034
Source: MSExchangeRepl
Category: Exchange VSS Writer
The Microsoft Exchange Replication Service VSS writer (instance f0b6a572-34a0-43ca-9dcb-c91cd8d1ea9b) failed with error code FFFFFFFC when processing the backup completion event.

ID: 914
Source: ESE Backup
Category: General
Information Store (2348) The surrogate backup by MAILSERVER has stopped with error 0xFFFFFFFF.

ID: 215
Source: ESE
Category: Logging/Recovery
MSExchangeIS (2348) DEVELOPMENT: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks very much!

21 REPLIES 21

Luke_Cassar
Level 5
I had a look and it seems like yes, we do have that update installed after all.. it must have come through live update when I first set up the server.

Also, with your passive copy backups.. please check the job log.. we had a situation here where backup exec reports that the job completed sucessfully.. but when I opened the job log I found errors related to the VSS writers yet again (even though BE showed an icon to suggest everything was OK).

The errors I found in the log were:

Writer Name: Microsoft Exchange Writer, Writer ID: {76FE1AC4-15F7-4BCD-987E-8E1ACB462FB7}, Last error: The VSS Writer failed, but the operation can be retried (0x800423f3), State: Failed during backup complete operation (12).

There was one of these errors for each information store.

Have a look in the job log and make sure it really did complete properly!

Otherwise, good luck and I hope it keeps working for you!

Jyrki
Level 3
I have selected: Back up from the passive copy and if not available, try the active copy (recommended).

And when backup success its done from active database, maybe that happen before also.
Cannot check job logs enough backwards, saved only 30 days, history saved 90 days (alert history 7 days), but history log does not have this information:

Backup Set Detail Information
Media Label: IMG000587
GRT backup set folder: D:\Backup-to-Disk\IMG000587
Note: The Microsoft Exchange backup was made from the active database.

But anyway there is something strange, if backup passive copy fail it newer try active database - only fail job.

Let's wait this article update: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305815.htm...

Rgds, Jyrki