Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 14, best installation option

Karl_M_
Not applicable

Hello all,

At one of our remote offices, we have:

A newer file server running Windows 2012 r2.  The server has approximately 5 tb of user files I need to back up.

An older server with a large array (11 tb) that I plan to use for disk storage of backups.

I can do either of the following options:

1)  Install Backup Exec 14 on the newer file server and push the data to the array on the older server.

or

2)  Install Backup Exec 14 on the older server, install backup exec windows server agent on the newer file server, and pull the data to the older server.

Which option is likely to work better in terms of minimizing failed backups?  Assuming an all-gigabit network, is there any advantage one way or the other as far as speed/time to backup is concerned?

Any info appreciated.

Karl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Karl,

No guarantee that installing BE on either server will have less chance of failure.

For me personally I would go with installing BE 2014 on the older server and pulling the data from the Win 2K12 R2 server. This ensures that if the file server crashes, that you have fewer steps to run through to restore the data.

Consider dedupe, or INCR/DIFF backup options for your backup as 5TB per day is going to take forever.

You can also look at hardcoding the switch ports and server NICs to 1GB FULL to see if this helps, as well as making sure that any AV installed on the media server isn't actively scanning the dedupe folder (assuming you're going to use one) or the BE services.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Karl,

No guarantee that installing BE on either server will have less chance of failure.

For me personally I would go with installing BE 2014 on the older server and pulling the data from the Win 2K12 R2 server. This ensures that if the file server crashes, that you have fewer steps to run through to restore the data.

Consider dedupe, or INCR/DIFF backup options for your backup as 5TB per day is going to take forever.

You can also look at hardcoding the switch ports and server NICs to 1GB FULL to see if this helps, as well as making sure that any AV installed on the media server isn't actively scanning the dedupe folder (assuming you're going to use one) or the BE services.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should elaborate on what you mean by "push"

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think you might need to elaborate on the specs of the older server (x32/x64 OS, CPU and RAM) - deduplication may not be appropriate if the specs are wrong.

Also as per pkh question regarding the word 'push' if you mean access a share to disk storage then the CIFS protocol is typically slower than some other protocols across the same network. Although defining how much slower is not possible.