cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 Database Usage

anbeier
Level 2

While I am currently planning the Installation of Backup Exec 2010, I do have a quick question about the database (server) backup exec will use.

Currently there are 2 SQL 2005 instances and 1 SQL express (WSUS) instances already running on the server (Win 2008 R2, Enterprise Edt.).

Is it possible to install the BE 2010 databse(s) on one of the currently running SQL databases?

Thanks in advance

Andreas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

yes you can...Check out the link if you want to read the full guide, otherwise just what I copied and pasted below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/341837.htm

To create a local Backup Exec SQL Express instance

Do the following in the order listed:

• Click Create a local Backup Exec SQL Express instance to store the database on.

• To change the location of the Backup Exec SQL Express instance, click Browse.

• Select the location, and then click OK.

To use an existing SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 instance

• Click Use an existing instance of SQL Server 2005 (SP3a or later) or SQL Server 2008 on the network to store the database on.

• Select the instance.

When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the automated master database restore feature is not available. To recover the Master database, replace it with the Master database copy that Backup Exec automatically creates and updates when the Master database is backed up.

Caution:
During the installation process and upgrade process, Backup Exec stops and starts the SQL service several times. Other user-created databases that use the SQL Server instance are unavailable during the process. To avoid such conflicts, you should install Backup Exec into its own SQL instance.

Laters!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Hi there,

yes you can...Check out the link if you want to read the full guide, otherwise just what I copied and pasted below:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/341837.htm

To create a local Backup Exec SQL Express instance

• Click Create a local Backup Exec SQL Express instance to store the database on.

• To change the location of the Backup Exec SQL Express instance, click Browse.

• Select the location, and then click OK.

To use an existing SQL Server 2005 or SQL Server 2008 instance

• Click Use an existing instance of SQL Server 2005 (SP3a or later) or SQL Server 2008 on the network to store the database on.

• Select the instance.

When Backup Exec is installed into an existing instance, the automated master database restore feature is not available. To recover the Master database, replace it with the Master database copy that Backup Exec automatically creates and updates when the Master database is backed up.

Caution:
During the installation process and upgrade process, Backup Exec stops and starts the SQL service several times. Other user-created databases that use the SQL Server instance are unavailable during the process. To avoid such conflicts, you should install Backup Exec into its own SQL instance.

Laters!

anbeier
Level 2
Thank you very much. I'll try it that way.

CraigV

Cool, no worries!