cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 / Exchange 2007 across domains

DilbertW01
Level 3
I have two domains - let's call them MAIL and PRODUCTION.
PRODUCTION is Windows 2008 (mixed) with the user AD accounts.  The Backup Exec 2010 server also resides in the PRODUCTION domain.
The MAIL domain has Exchange 2007 in it.  The users' mailboxes are set up as linked accounts back to the PRODUCTION user AD accounts.

In order to backup Exchange 2007, I understand that the Exchange management tools are supposed to be installed on the Backup Exec 2010 server.  However, since the backup server is in PRODUCTION, we have a cross domain / cross organization issue.  The Exchange tools can't connect to the MAIL domain's Exchange server.

It looks likes the only way around this is to set up a backup server in the MAIL domain.  Is this correct?  Anybody else with a similiar setup?  My director does not want to set up the 2nd media server in the MAIL domain.  Thank you for any suggestions!
3 REPLIES 3

DilbertW01
Level 3

Thanks for sending me the thread.  So, from reading it, it looks like [for now] we are pretty much shafted (and forced) into having to set up a Backup Exec server in the MAIL domain, eh?

Sounds like a bad marketing move to force the sale of more licenses - a move so low, it is worthy of Microsoft.

Dev_T
Level 6
.....Please mark it as solution if your query is answered......