cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 - Successful jobs not showing in restore

scott_vc
Level 3

Hi

We have problems with restoring data from successful backup jobs. When we go to restore, we cannot select data from some of the backup jobs.

Any help would be appreciated. Have tried moving the Catalog folder, applying all updates and restarting services and server various amounts of times.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

scott_vc
Level 3

Resolution below:

- Within Tools>Options>Settings>Catalog, the option "Use storage media-based catalogs" was unchecked.

- Within Tools>Options>Media Management>Media overwrite protection level, "Partial - protect only allocated media" and "Prompt before overwriting imported media" was selected.

- Within Media>Media Sets>MediaName>Properties, the option "Overwrite preotection period" was to to 8 hours, which is sufficient for all of the backup jobs to finish. This was previously set to 1 hour and was the main cause.

Thanks to all who contributed and helped rule out various problems.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Select appropriate date range in the restore window

scott_vc
Level 3

thanks for the reply - date is correct.

AmolB

Could you post a screenshot of the restore window

scott_vc
Level 3

hi, screenshot attached.

In the backup config, I have "overwrite" option selected, so not sure whether the subsequent job is overwriting.  I have also changed this to append/overwrite if no space.

Any further suggestions appreciated.

AmolB

The backup sets will be ovewritten only once the overwrite protection period ends.

So check the properties of the media set which is associated with the backup job.

From the job log identify the media which was used by the backup and then browse the same media 

from "View by Media" tab which is available in the restore window. If the media shows the latest 

backup set than propbably older backup sets are overwritten by the new ones.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Are you running backup job to disk or to tape ?

In the job log , check on which media the job used. Then in the restore selection window go to view by media , and see if you see that media available.if the media is overwritten it would have some other backup set on it .

IF the media is not listed , try re-cataloging the tape.

JK81
Level 4

Looking at the screenshot, I would just say that uncheck both the date check boxes - Beginning backup date and Ending backup date.

See if you can see all the resources for backup and check each server by date you expect to see. I would say maybe compare it with the job logs from backup history.

Hope this helps!

regards,

nilesh_dhakras
Level 3
Employee

Could you please post a screenshot with drilled down view after selecting any of these resources? What you are seeing unselectable here is machines (and not backup sets). If you drill it down, you will see different backup sets across the resource. Would you please post screenshot indicating which backup set is unselectable? Also, as already pointed out by someone here, just remove the date selection.

Thanks,

-Nilesh.

scott_vc
Level 3

again, thanks for all the responses.

The issue is not related to date. The actual resources are missing. I have a feeling it may be related to the overwrite being enabled and not the append with overwrite.

I am currently running a test backup at the moment, unfortunately they do take a few hours.  

Will post update soon with settings changed.

scott_vc
Level 3

Resolution below:

- Within Tools>Options>Settings>Catalog, the option "Use storage media-based catalogs" was unchecked.

- Within Tools>Options>Media Management>Media overwrite protection level, "Partial - protect only allocated media" and "Prompt before overwriting imported media" was selected.

- Within Media>Media Sets>MediaName>Properties, the option "Overwrite preotection period" was to to 8 hours, which is sufficient for all of the backup jobs to finish. This was previously set to 1 hour and was the main cause.

Thanks to all who contributed and helped rule out various problems.