cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R2 on Server 2K8R2 with CASO

Deac0n
Level 3

Managing media servers on multiple Servers 2003 x64 Exchange 2K7 boxes.  Backup job created on the CASO server (the 2K8 server) fails every stinking time with an event ID 34113 in the application logs on both the CASO and the media server.  Vssadmin list writers on both servers shows all stable without errors on both ends.  AOFO is not used, shadow copies is not turned on, and the only selections are the Exchange application directory, the mail store, and the public folder store.  GRT is not used, and VSS consistency check is disabled. Local job on the Server 2K3 box with Exchange 2K7 is a duplicate of the one on the CASO server and runs fine from there.  the job on the CASO server generates the Event ID and:

Job ended: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 1:17:54 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe1f - The device cannot be found.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65055

Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- 021NACASO1
V-79-57344-65055 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "E:". Advanced Open File Option used: No.

Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE1F): The device cannot be found.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...
Snapshot provider error (0x80004005): Unspecified error

- AOFO: Initialization failure on: "Microsoft Information Store". Advanced Open File Option used: M...
Snapshot provider error (0x80004005): Unspecified error

There are no details for the Event ID 34113 as everyone knows, this is a very generic code.

Help anyone?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Mmm...have you deleted the job and recreated it?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ChapelMan
Not applicable

Seen something similar, never got it resolved on all the servers.  Hate that AOFO crud with BE. 

MarcoV
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

I've come across such thing... In that case I had a stale driver reference in the Windows registry, which caused the VSS snapshot of the System State to fail.

So try to find the solution there. Have you tried to create a backup with wbadmin? I'm not sure if Exchange 2007 has a VSS writer...

Deac0n
Level 3

I am not backing up the system state as part of the troubleshooting, but thanks!!

CraigV

Hi there,

Does your CASO have control of your media server?
In order to delegate jobs and manage the hardware or an MMS, you need to centralise your devices. You can do this through BEutility.exe, and choose:

Move Device and Media Data to Central Administration Server

Just be aware that when you do this, you risk not running backups on your MMS servers if your CASO goes down!

Craig

Deac0n
Level 3

Thanks for the response Craig, but I set it up for both the media server and the CASO server to be able to control them in the beginning.  All media and devices show up on the CASO server, and the job I am trying to run on this particular media server was created on the CASO server.  The local job on the media server, which is an exact replica of the CASO job, runs fine.  The CASO job is the one with the problem.  While I am looking for a solution the media server job is running nightly and the CASO job is on hold.  Should I get a resolution, I will reverse it.  I am going to try an additional media server and see if I run into the same problem, or if it is specific to this particular media server.

CraigV

Mmm...have you deleted the job and recreated it?

Deac0n
Level 3

Certainly worth a try, I will let you know how it comes out.

Deac0n
Level 3

Umm, that simple?  scary.  the only thing I did in between creating that job and deleting and recreating it that may have contributed to the solution was turning off Shadow Copies on the media server, still don't know who turned it on to begin with.  Thanks CraigV for the simple, elegant and overlooked solution!