cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3.1 - Alternating Weeks Scheduling Issue

DanCADMan
Level 3

I've been using 2010 for about a year now, and have just recently replaced the tapes in my library with LTO4's.  I have a 24 tape library that I have been using, but until now, it hasn't been full.

Here is how I had it scheduled with the LTO3's:

Daily Backup Set (Monday-Saturday - full backup)

Weekly Backup Set (Every Sunday - full backup)

Monthly Backup Set (Every last Sunday - full backup)

Yeah, I know full backups?  That's what they want, so that's what they are getting.  Anyway, that worked pretty well, but it wasn't prefect because I ended up using two tapes per backup.

I now have enough tapes and capacity to do the following:

One tape for every day of the week for two weeks (12 tapes) broken up into Daily Backup Set A and Daily Backup Set B.

(3) tapes for the Weekly Backup Set.

(5) tapes for the Monthly Backup Set.

I want to set a schedule that does "Mon. - Sat. of week (1) use Daily Backup Set A, Mon. -Sat. of week (2) use Daily Backup Set B"  The weekly and monthly I have no problem with.  However, there dosen't seem to be any combination of options that will make this work.

Maybe I'm just making this too difficult.  I have support and would call the support line, but I'd rather have something I can read.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Assuming that you have 12 tapes, you can put them into a daily media set with a OPP of 13 days.  BE will cycle through them over the course of 2 weeks.  This is the easiest. 

Having a library you should not be too concern about which data end up on which tape.  You can read my article on this topic.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Assuming that you have 12 tapes, you can put them into a daily media set with a OPP of 13 days.  BE will cycle through them over the course of 2 weeks.  This is the easiest. 

Having a library you should not be too concern about which data end up on which tape.  You can read my article on this topic.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

DanCADMan
Level 3

Just as I suspected, I tried to make something much more difficult than it had to be.  The article you posted is exactly what I was looking for, but for some reason never came up in any of my searches.  I will revise my media set as you suggested.

Thank you very much!